How much should a G4 tower go for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fallenapples

In Runtime
I know a place that sells G4 desktops, prices ranging from $100-$250, what specs should be involved? Should I buy this? My laptop just fried so it's in repair and it's a Toshiba satillite 300; will the G4 rurn iWork 2009 and such newer programs, and .dmg files?. And can G4 run generic keyboards, mouses and wireless cards all from PCs and also is there a way I can tell that they're G4's and not Intel placed in Mac tower casing? Help please!

It's a waste of money. I have a G4 powerbook and its pretty slow. Apple has pretty much abandoned all support for the powerpc based machines and you will only get headaches from trying to work with one now. If you have to get a mac then get an Intel one.

It's a waste of money. I have a G4 powerbook and its pretty slow. Apple has pretty much abandoned all support for the powerpc based machines and you will only get headaches from trying to work with one now. If you have to get a mac then get an Intel one.

I second that. G5 is tollerable provided you got older version of software. But I would not would not going any thing earlier.

I know a place that sells G4 desktops, prices ranging from $100-$250, what specs should be involved? Should I buy this? My laptop just fried so it's in repair and it's a Toshiba satillite 300; will the G4 rurn iWork 2009 and such newer programs, and .dmg files?. And can G4 run generic keyboards, mouses and wireless cards all from PCs and also is there a way I can tell that they're G4's and not Intel placed in Mac tower casing? Help please!

Toshiba Satillite is more powerful that a G4 by a long shot. My father had a G4 Mac Laptop. And yet my Toshiba Sat 300 was running circles around his laptop.

As for replacing the parts inside. Apples computer are not know for their upgradability. One of them being the CPU.

You can upgrade the cpu, but they will charge a lot for it. It's not even worth it. The level of screwed Apple users get when they upgrade is unbelievable.

Stick with a pc man, you already know PC and Macs aren't as great as the commercials say. They crash all the time and you are paying a lot for the name. The G4 competed with the Pentium 3 and Pentium over its life. PCs from that era are given away, why would you pay money for a mac with similar performance?

You can upgrade the cpu, but they will charge a lot for it. It's not even worth it. The level of screwed Apple users get when they upgrade is unbelievable.

Oh yeah. Like it cheaper to get a DVD-RW along with a copy of Toast as appose to purchasing the offical Mac Super Drive for those things.

Thing I hate about Mac is that they seem to bring out custom firmware for ordinary products just so you have to purchase the orginal spare part. i have heard that they are now doing this to hard drives too.

It much easier for me to bin an old Macintosh and buy a new one as appose to upgrading it.

Oh yeah. Like it cheaper to get a DVD-RW along with a copy of Toast as appose to purchasing the offical Mac Super Drive for those things.

Thing I hate about Mac is that they seem to bring out custom firmware for ordinary products just so you have to purchase the orginal spare part. i have heard that they are now doing this to hard drives too.

It much easier for me to bin an old Macintosh and buy a new one as appose to upgrading it.

Rant about Service gripe:
QFT. I don't see how people go back to them after having to service one. They are made not to be taken apart. Take the iPod, the cables on it are arranged in such a way that it is very easy to rip them when you open the case. Other devices of similar size are much easier to deal with. There are a bunch of companies that sell "mac compatible" hardware for absurd prices and its substandard most of the time anyways. Half the "Mac" memory out there is just value ram rebranded and double the price. For a 2GB 1100mhz 5-5-5-15 DDR2 kit it may cost $30 for a pc, but $100 for the same kit for a Mac.

Macs, are not upgradable, unless you are lucky enough to be able to use PC parts. To compound that, somehow the whole world has lost its mind and believes that macs hold their value. They aren't cars, they are pcs. All PCs unless true beasts loose most of their value in 3 years and by 5 are practically worthless in terms of dollars. The value of macs is an artificial one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom