How to fix ipod 4th generation ios 6 sound issue?

Veraster

In Runtime
My brother has an ipod 4th generation that he bought used. The retarded idiots that used it before had it updated to ios 6. Not only is it horrible and more of a resource hog like all of Apple's previous ios releases but there is an ios 6 bug that makes sound not be played through the speakers.

The headphone jack works but I can't get any sound out of the internal speakers.

Apple has acknowledged this bug on their website. They have released two updates so far that say nothing about correcting this error.

I tried hard restarting the device (holding the power and home button down until it powers off). Some people have been able to get it working that way but it didn't work for me. I even tried restoring from itunes using the latest ios version like Apple wants us to and that didn't do anything to fix the sound.

I have tried to downgrade the firmware to 5.1 with redsn0w. There actually were the required shsh blobs for that serial number on cydia.
The problem is that if I tried loading the firmware from redsnow, while in pwned DFU mode, it would say "device is not in recovery mode". If I tried from non-pwned DFU mode, it would just put it in pwned DFU mode and return the same error stated above. No matter what I tried I just ended up back on the same error.
I also tried the itunes method where you use itunes to flash the customized (shsh blob patched) firmware while it's in pwned DFU mode. That just returned error 1600. I also tried the non customized ipsw file in pwned DFU mode only to get the same error. I even tried both of those firmwares in non-pwned DFU mode only to get the same 1600 error.
I have tried repeating all of the above with "74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com" instead of "74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com" in my hosts file. Note that right after I saved that to my hosts file I typed "ipconfig /flushdns" at the command prompt.
Also, I have been using the same ipsw file as the one I have shsh blobs for.

I really hate Apple and this is one of those reasons. Their new firmware doesn't work and they force us to use it.

Is there something I did wrong in the downgrade thing? Has anyone else successfully downgraded the firmware on something?

Are there any other fixes for the sound that I haven't mentioned? Is downgrading the only way?

Last edited:
I would love to try and help on this one, but after all the BS we have had due to their stupid iOS 6.1 causing issues on Exchange servers, forcing us to disable all apple devices from connecting, and it taking them ages to fix it.
I have had my fill of apple issues this month lol

can you not take it to an apple shop (if you have one near by) and tell them that the OS update has ruined the device, as it is mainly a media player, and no sound is a major issue.
And ask them to downgrade it for you, or for them to send it off to get it downgraded.

The last thing you want to do is mess around with 3rd party software and turn it into a brick.

I don't think there is an Apple shop where I am. All they are going to do is tell me I need to pay $100 to get it fixed and they are going to replace it and I'll look like an idiot.

I'd rather avoid one of those stupid "genius bars" if possible. I'd be more likely to go to Best Buy to get my desktop fixed. That's how much I don't want to go in there.

They probably won't downgrade the firmware. You can get banned for asking about downgrading firmware on Apple's support forums

I don't think there is an Apple shop where I am. All they are going to do is tell me I need to pay $100 to get it fixed and they are going to replace it and I'll look like an idiot.

I'd rather avoid one of those stupid "genius bars" if possible. I'd be more likely to go to Best Buy to get my desktop fixed. That's how much I don't want to go in there.

They probably won't downgrade the firmware. You can get banned for asking about downgrading firmware on Apple's support forums

If you don't mind resetting it, you can grab the 5.1.1 or 6.0 firmware file and restore it through iTunes with that firmware version. Personally, I've always hated iOS 6. And its so called "updates" have just made most matters worse.

Back
Top Bottom