Help! Sick Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.

artgirlx

Beta member
Hi tech types! I have been having problems with my G4 platinum, keep getting either a folder with nothing on it, or a folder with a question mark. I ran the Apple Hardware Test and everything passed. I am not sure what to do next...i actually tried starting up from one of my install disks and it was having problems reading them, saying they were damaged (which is extremely unlikely as they have been kept in a package in a box for a long time). What do i do next. All i want to do is backup anything i already dont have backed up and ERASE the whole **** thing and start over!!!! Also, when i ran the disk first aid i got a message that said INVALID KEY LENGTH 4,6796 and another message that said VOLUME MAC HD COULD NOT BE MOUNTED...does anyone know what this stuff means!!!! When i try to do anything, like reinstall OSX or 9.2 even, it cant find a destination disc...what the hell is going on!
:mad:

Some of the G4 towers (like mine, grrr :mad: ) used the IBM Deskstar as its harddrive. For obvious reasons, this drive has earned the name "Deathstar" for its tendency to die. You may one have one of these drives that has bitten the bullet.

Even if it's not a Deathstar, it still looks like your harddrive died. Plop in a spare (if you have one, or can borrow one from a friend) and see if anything recognizes it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom