help... new to macs! (lots of questions)

Status
Not open for further replies.

f15h

In Runtime
I've used windows and linux for most of my life, but I need a stable system for development, compilation, and to host files over the internet. I thought a mac mini might be an appropriate system. Its not a speed deamon by any standards, but will do what I need it to. Anyway, I'm new to macs, and I have some questions about them. (the last time i got to know a mac system was when i used a mac running classic... 9. something?)

thanks in advance!

PROGRAMMING:

I've been programming using Kdevelop for some time now, and I can't imagine switching to a new development tool.

Can I compile KDevelop to run in OSX?

I like to save time by using interface designers instead of hand coding the interface... i'm lazy - if KDEV won't comple for osx, can I get a compiler/dev tool with an interface designer?

THE OS:

I know its unix based now, which is why i'm going to use it. What filesystem is it using now? How does the system work? What shells or terminals does it come with?

PROGRAMS:

How are programs installed? Whats a dmg file..? how does this work? is it like a freak self running rpm thingy? ahh. i'm used to hand compiling and installing software. is it the equivalent of an exe? thanks -

I really appreciate your help.

DMG is a compressed disk image, that is, when you expand it, it will expand a virtual disk with files in it, sort of like an ISO. It is not like an EXE or RPM.

OS X uses the HFS+ file system. It has a terminal that recognizes most Unix commands, and if you install X11, you will also have xterm.

IF kdev will run in X11, then yes, you should be able to run it. Doesn't mean there won't be problems. If you need another devel tool for the Mac, there is always XCode, which is a dev app and compilers.

:)

ok great. I've heard that 10.4 uses a new file system - faster? I guess I'll find out.

thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom