Help Installing System 7.5.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

trekkie00

In Runtime
I'm having some problems installing System 7.5.3 on an old Macintosh.

So far, I have:

1. Downloaded the 19 parts from Apple's website (in .bin form)
2. Extracted them to individual files (pretty much *.part and *.smi)
3. Copied files to CD
4. Copied fies off CD to Mac's hard drive
5. Tried running it.

It does not recognize the .smi or .part extension, and it's left me wondering what I'm doing wrong. I'd appreciate any help.

Oh yeah, it's a Quadra 800 running OS 7.5.5 right now.

I put the first one on a floppy that works on another mac (says it's PC, but it needs to be compatable with my desktop so I don't really have a choice), but it spits it back out at me when the computer starts up. Any other advice?

EDIT: Just put it in, and says it's unformated. Gonna try "re-initializing" it and try again.

EDIT AGAIN: Okay, I tried initializing the floppy, but it failed because the "floppy was defective". Because it works fine on the other mac and on my desktop, I take this to mean that there's a problem with the floppy drive on this one. The other mac I have seems to have the same kind of drive, so I'll switch it over tomorrow.

Okay, I managed to switch around the floppy drives and the "new" one works.

I tried putting it in to boot, but it keeps spitting it out. When I insert it while it's on, it does read and shows me the file (with a .smi extension), but says that I need to define it in "PC Exchange", but I don't know what program it needs to run. Any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom