Goodbye iOS 6.......please?

Thorax_the_Impaler

Minecraft Veteran
Hello everyone! And thanks in advance for your time and answers. :)

So in short, I've had it with iOS 6.1. My battery life is annoyingly short, and I just all around hate, that's right hate, the OS. I have thusly decided to downgrade my iOS to 5.1.1; as I like that a lot better. I'm basically just going to restore using that firmware version through iTunes. I just want to make sure that this restore will not affect my iPhone's service functionality. I know I'd lose all my data, as the phone is new there is nothing I'd miss. So just to double-check, restoring my iPhone 4 through iTunes won't affect my service correct? Thanks again everyone. :)

I though apple fixed the battery life problems with 6.1.2?
Curiously, do you have a microsoft exchange activesync account on your iphone?

What version of iPhone 4 do you have? GSM or CDMA?
What service do you use?
What is your location opposed to where the nearest tower is?

The only reason I ask is that I have a GSM iPhone 4 running iOS 6.1.2 and my battery life has never been anything other than exceptional. However, when I'm traveling or if I'm in an area of poor service, the battery life takes a hit because the radio is working harder to achieve signal strength.

Try turning off 3G for a day and see if that helps. Turn off cellular data completely, if you can go without it for a day, and report your results. If the battery life still sucks after a day of no cellular use, then its the battery/iOS at fault. If your battery life exceeds expectations, then your carrier is to blame.

Remember to verify your push settings for email/facebook/etc. Close out completely of any apps that might be using cellular data in the background.

What version of iPhone 4 do you have? GSM or CDMA?
What service do you use?
What is your location opposed to where the nearest tower is?

The only reason I ask is that I have a GSM iPhone 4 running iOS 6.1.2 and my battery life has never been anything other than exceptional. However, when I'm traveling or if I'm in an area of poor service, the battery life takes a hit because the radio is working harder to achieve signal strength.

Try turning off 3G for a day and see if that helps. Turn off cellular data completely, if you can go without it for a day, and report your results. If the battery life still sucks after a day of no cellular use, then its the battery/iOS at fault. If your battery life exceeds expectations, then your carrier is to blame.

Remember to verify your push settings for email/facebook/etc. Close out completely of any apps that might be using cellular data in the background.

I have an iPhone 4 CDMA model. I'm currently on Sprint and according to the local Sprint retailer the towers out here have been acting screwy lately. It's been about two weeks since I was told this, but based on the current service I'm getting against what I got before I'm fairly certain they're still having troubles. I should point out though, that I never have 3G on unless I am using something that needs cellular data (same goes for wifi and bluetooth), I completely close every app after I am done with it and never them run in the background unless I need to them to. I am a very frugal user when it comes to battery life. Even with these precautions and nothing in the background, my battery performance is still annoyingly low. As for the 6.1.2 update, I was not aware I could get it. I read numerous things online that mentioned that update was not available to the iPhone 4 as the 4S was the only one with the problems that needed fixing. If it is available, I will definitely upgrade before I do anything. Thanks for bringing up 6.1.2. :)

I thought I didn't need SHSH blobs if I was restoring through iTunes?

You used to not for iOS 3 and 4, I haven't had to downgrade since then and I thought they had made it so you couldn't in iTunes. If that's the case, you would just download the firmware you want then I believe it's ctrl + click restore to choose the firmware you downloaded.

I read numerous things online that mentioned that update was not available to the iPhone 4 as the 4S was the only one with the problems that needed fixing. If it is available, I will definitely upgrade before I do anything. Thanks for bringing up 6.1.2. :)

It's been a bit of a cluster on this past update, almost as bad as Java is lately...

Anyway, the 6.1 update screwed anyone with microsoft exchange

6.1.1 corrected the issue SPECIFICALLY for iPhone 4S users

6.1.2 corrected issues for everyone else.

If there's an earthquake in California it's because Steve Jobs is violently rolling in his grave.

Back
Top Bottom