(Finally!) getting a mac mini

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkMassacre

In Runtime
Well I'll be ordering one in a week or so so thats cool. I want to hook it up to this computer so I can get DSL on it. I have a Linksys wireless router that I can use but I wanna get a long cable that'll just go from this room to my room so that people cant get **** with the computer like they could if it was wireless. I just wanted to know if I needed to install any drivers or anything for it or would it work immediately?

Not waiting a month to at least hear the announcements? :D

Well, as I always say to anyone who is ordering a computer, money on RAM before CPU is generally more effective, though I'm sure you've already decided exactly what you're ordering.

I think I can survive with 512MB for now but I'll upgrade as soon as I can. Anyway I had another question about the OS itself. I read somewhere that if you just download something it will appear in the dock and if you turn off your comp it will be gone. What else do you have to do to insure that it'll stay?

thats false

download a program --- drag to apps folder, then from apps folder into the dock and itll stay

or you can open the program from the apps folder and then right click it (or hold click, or control click) and hit keep in dock. to remove from the dock, click and drag and it will go POOF and disappear.

Also, anytime you drag anything into the dock, it just creates an alias icon of that program, not the program itself. :)

and if you uninstall the program, the icon dissappears.... you wont be getting that annoying flashlight searching around and then a lame error message that says " hey, you're an idiot, thanks for using windows" and then you are slammed with multiple "do you want to send an error report to microsoft?" and those windows freeze and then you get those windows for the error report windows that froze. GAHHHH

I just got my keyboard and mouse yesterday. I should be getting the computer in a couple of days (yay!). Anyway I was looking at the Mighty Mouse's booklet and it spoke of certain features you can perform with it if you have OSX 10.4.2 or higher and to use these special features you gotta use the disc that came with it. I was wondering if I had to use the disc or if Tiger already has the stuff ready.

just install the stuff and youll get an enhanced mouse section of system settings ... i had one and threw it away, for a logitech. the only nice features it has at that it looks nice and the scroll ball is cool, the right click gets annoying, id rather hang myself then play a game with it, and the squeeze buttons are useless.

Yay got my mac and I've been playing on it awhile. I noticed I dont have Spotlight in my Dock though. Do I need to install it from the disc?

EDIT:Nvm I'm an idiot. I see it right up in the corner. But I was wondering about something else. In windows to see HD space, RAM, Ghz and other things I 'd go into my computer. Where do I go on a mac? Oh and I think I hid finder on accident. I can see the icon in the bottem left corner but how do I put it back in the dock?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom