convert wmv to anything!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The General

Banned
maybe i just really suck at searching the forum ... cause i KNOW someones asked this before

anyway, i need to convert wmv to ANYTHING

i mean avi, h.264, megp-4 whatever!

i just cant justify using a windows media format.

that and i cant use them in imovie hd and i need to for my digital imaging class

thanks

problem - video files play fine in vlc, but give me an error (if i use anything but h.263 or h.263+) it says

"QuickTime cannot open the file: "video.mpg"
it is not a file that QuickTime understands (-2048)"

use mencoder to change it something else, not sure what quicktime will play

mplayer itself will play almost anything

another option is maybe convert it to a dvd quality/standard mpeg2, that's a little more complicated.........needs a few more small programs, and Im not sure if they would work in OS X, they should, most are on sourceforge.net, ffmpeg, mpeg2enc, and maybe the mpeg2 library? Not sure, OS X is mostly proprietary and Im not sure what it has mpeg library wise

I can tell you what the steps are though, mplayer can be used to dump the audio to a wave file, then use something else to convert that to a dvd standard ac3 or mpeg2 audio file, ffmpeg will do it

then use mplayer to play the main file again and output it in YUV format, use a pipe and convert that to dvd standard mpeg2 video using mpeg2enc, that gives you an mpeg2 video file w/o audio

then take the two files and multiplex them back together, poof, you then have a dvd mpeg

there's a BASH shell script on sourceforge called tovid, it uses the above programs, and its set up to do a conversion to dvd,vcd,or svcd and even burn it too, but its linux based, but the source code can be looked at, it shows how this is done, and its what I use to do conversions when Im feeling lazy

sounds like your caught in the classic apple catch 22 situation, need a non proprietary file format you can work with that works with apple ware too--------if apple and windows would quit screwing around and use some standards we'd all be better off

buy?

win dows?

ffmpegx or ffmpeg supposedly work, and they do!

only problem = quicktime HATES me.

VLC, and Mplayer (in OSX and in Ubuntu) will play my converted files.

but quicktime keeps giving me the error message "blah blah blah, i hate you, (-2048)"

well i guess ill give this a go in virtual PC ... :(

edit: no such luck ... it gave me a DLL EXE AHHHH!!!! and then i had to type control alt delete and it still wouldnt work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom