Can't Install OS X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jiminy777

Baseband Member
Hey all,

I tried installing OS X over 8.6 but when I setup my hard drive on 2 partitions using Mac Extended option in Disk Utility, I see the partitions locked. It gives me an error that it has to be installed in the first 8 GB of the drive.

What should I do? Do I need a newer version of Disk utility to format the drive correctly? I have a 80 GB IDE HD. Should I only have 1 partition?

Pls help? I'm lost on this one.

You didnt really provide enough info in the first post...
You are trying to install OS X on a 8.6 based machine?? Some older machines arent gonna run OS X well at all in the first place.
What machine are you using to do this??

Do you have another PowerMac tower available that you can setup your drive as the slave and use that towers OS X to partition your disk? That could work...

That's a good idea. I do have a PowerPC 7300 that I can try installing on it. I never though about it because the G3 I have is much faster. I was able to install it once before and it took about 1 hr or more on the G3. That's probably why I did not install it on the older one.

The funny thing I get an error when the G3 boots up which say "Can't Open" across the top of the screen about 50 times then it boots up normal. I might have to flush the PRAM but I don't remember how to do it. I think it's Command-Option-P and R but I have to research that again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom