Can you tell by looks if an iBook G4 has a DVD rom or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
I've got an iBook G4 here with no OS, so I figured I'd try something PowerPC based in the Linux world just to get an OS on it and use it for whatever. Well, I found Slackintosh 12.1 and burned it to a DVD. It won't accept my DVD. In fact, it kicks out any OS CD I put in it (because we also have copies of 10.2, 10.3.5, and 10.4.1 [for G5's though] at work) and I've tried all of them.

The trick is, Slackintosh is also uploaded in 4 parts with CD Images... but I have 4 blank CDs left... so I was curious if there's a way to determine whether or not this iBook G4 has a DVD drive or not.

Remember - It currently does not have an operating system.

The thing doesn't even boot to GParted. Is that a bad sign?

If you have some old OS 9 or 8 discs you could try them, if it rejects those then the drive might be damaged. Without having a bootable OS on their ATM its hard to tell. You can try like OS 10.3 if you have a copy and if it boots that (since it'd be on a DVD) it would then have a DVD drive, if it spits that out then it most likely has a CD Drive only, but I find it hard to believe that an iBook G4 wouldn't have a DVD drive (apples bleeding edge and all)

let me know,

Dr. House

Aight, CD rom drive is good. GParted wouldn't boot but Slackintosh install CDs do... however... Slackintosh's installer kinda sucks... any other alternatives for an OS for this iBook G4? (preferably linux... debian based if possible)

What's wrong with GNOME based OS's?

Absolutely nothing. I love Gnome based OS's. It's what I prefer actually.

I didn't realize Debian itself had PowerPC support still, so I'll give them a shot when I have the chance next.

Oh right fair enough, Gnome seems to be the popular choice these days :D

I'd love to have Ubuntu Intrepid on it (Gnome, of course) but Ubuntu dropped PPC support a while ago. I just downloaded Fedora 10 to a DVD and the iBook is kicking it out. I guess it doesn't have a DVD player. Grrrrr. Now I'll have to burn a dozen CDs for Fedora. djl;afksjd;lsa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom