Audio/Video on a mac.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ncjimn

In Runtime
Can someone tell me exactly why macs are better at creation and editing of audio and video?

Is it that good software is only available for mac?
Is it the OS?

What is it?

because they use to be far better than windows in that aspect with programs/hardware, it was birth as a graphic design.
technologies caught up everywhere, its a matter of preference. Most stay true to the mac background and choose to stick with it.
you cant deny apples sense of style, and style is everthing to a graphic designer.

so yeah its just a preference thing now mainly, Macs use to be better for those types of apps (some reasons which i cant remeber, believe it was with performance of those software compared with PC, etc) but now msot things run fine for both platforms, again a matter of preference/what your use to.

So it's the way the OS and the software interact (or used to) right? I don't think hardware is an advantage of the mac, since PCs can be upgraded to be better in the hardware side.

Thanks encity that makes sense. So is it correct to say that macs are no longer "superior" when it comes to graphic design? If they are, in what way?

is encity5 a mac user?
I just had to comment on how normal and unsmug encity5 sounds for a mac user :D. If most mac users made such comments you might have more people using macs.

But one thing I disagree on is the style thing....I don't focus on it much. Much how the Metacreations products brought that funky gui style to WinX, I always like my utilitarian gui. (in the end the personal preference thing)

As for the tech side, the macs that were RISC based used to have the edge over the PCs for those certain apps...until Intel started improving their x86 cpus with all the floating point and math.

now you are only "stuck" using software that is only available for one platform and not the other...and sometimes that piece of hardware.

Haha, in truth, im a wannabe Mac user, w/o a mac and longing for one, will buy when lepaord comes out most likely.
Yeah i dont think the hardware gives it any real noticiable advantage nowdays. and as much as ive been looking around and asking the same questions, i dont think apples more supieror for graphic design apps (but they do have a really gorgeous LCD display which is probably better than other LCD's)
But along with a purchase of a mac or any apple product, its nice to have a system built purposefully for those typs of apps, with one place for customer service and even customer service inside their stores for help with a mac, or help with programs on the mac. (genius bar/studio) just dunt think its such a streamline experience with the PC.

But PCs can get dam fast even on a budget.

I've always thought one reason people in graphics design prefer working with Mac OS to Windows is the way the interface handles windows. When working with many images, the way windows 'float' unconnected to any tool pallets or menu-bars is easier to deal with when bringing graphics between applications, and it makes working with multiple image windows easier, especially when you add in multiple monitors.

In other words, it could basically be the way one has to work to manipulate graphics; the Mac OS workflow is more suited to the task. Note: I am not a graphics artist, or a Mac user. Or a Windows user for that matter.

Final cut is the best reason to use a mac. It is the best video editing software out there. And then it bundels all well with shake and logic pro. Its basically drag and drop yet you can customize everything at the same time.

Also, Maya is one of the bast 3d modeling software out there. You can use it on a pc but the interface is much better on a mac. Just the way the windows are laied out and everything is better.

Finally, osx has so many built in features such as core animation, core audio, core video, core image, core data, Bonjour, darwin, Quartz, openGL, and smart folder. On windows many of these features come as seperate programs or just dont exist at all. Because of this, it reduces work time on projects as you only have to work on your project and not fight with the OS. These tools also make many things much faster. Like in core animation you just define a start and an end goal or the project. This vastly reduces codeing work as well as the size of a program.

mrpiddly is right, FCP is a major selling point. Logic (a heavy duty sequencing/recording program) is also a favorite of many record studios. Mac also pushes the whole multimedia thing by making consumer-programs standard (iMovie, Garageband, etc), most of which are compatible with pro programs (ie, Garageband and Reason will jive nicely).

Then again I don't know if any similar programs are offered on PCs, or if I've been brainwashed by Jobs' net campaign. I will say that joining the Youtube generation was really easy with a Macbook (you can capture video with the isight camera).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom