Apple strikes again to halt iPhone jailbreaking

Status
Not open for further replies.

KSoD

Call me Mak or K, Mod Emeritus
Apple's latest update to OSX, 10.5.6, includes an impressive list of performance and bug fixes but hidden amongst the latest and greatest is that 10.5.6 disables the Pwnage tool, making you unable to jailbreak or unlock your iPhone or iPod Touch with Mac OSX.

The update prevents jailbreaking by disabling the software at the OS level. Apple is stopping 10.5.6 Mac's from recognizing the device in DFU (device firmware update) mode by using new code that affects the USB ports on Apple computers at the driver level and how they interact with the iPhone and iPod Touch.

Apple is constantly caught up in a cat and mouse game with the iPhone dev team, a group that has successfully jailbroken the iPhone and iPod Touch to allow 3rd party applications that are not listed on Apple's official AppStore. At the time of writing the dev team has not commented on Apple's latest trick.

Source

My friend has an jailbroke iPod touch and an iMac, does this mean he can't use his iPod with his iMac if he updates his mac?

I don't even see why Apple cares, really. Once a person owns a device it's theirs. They should be able to do what they please to it; it doesn't affect Apple.

The pwnadge tool is OSX only, this is designed to stop the more efficient method of jail breaking over the more common an riskier executable image exploit.

I still use 10.4.11...lol.

I don't know what they're thinking with the iPods, but.

The way Apple sees it, since you're buying the phone with a contract through AT&T, it's not really "your" phone. Though the contract only lasts two years, while updates to OSX and iPhone software will go on forever.

Yeah, I like the nazi idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom