Apple Music Now at 6.5 mil subs - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Apple and Mac
Click Here to Login

Old 10-26-2015, 11:57 AM   #11 (permalink)

Default Re: Apple Music Now at 6.5 mil subs

This is coming from an Apple guy: iTunes and the Music app are terribly designed. I hate hate hate hate how the new Apple Music looks.

Battle.net: iFargle #1561 || Steam/Origin: iFargle
iFargle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 02:13 PM   #12 (permalink)
Night Ninja

I own a Mac because it prevents me from having to install a fresh copy of the OS on a regular basis and because I don't have to worry as much about malware. That doesn't matter anyhow. You're talking about the design of a software, which is pretty much the exact same design as most other software out there. I've never used the App version of it so I can't speak to the App itself (I own a desktop).

I've also been a user of plenty of other software that do similar things. I'm not promoting iTunes nor am I discrediting them. It's an okay software, and that's it. There's nothing special about it that other software doesn't do as well.

I'm simply asking you why you don't like it. Nobody can seem to give an appropriate answer other than, "I hate it. It sucks. DIE IN A FIRE!" It's a library for music, much like Windows Media or WinAmp with many of the same features. Each is unique in it's own tiny ways. None of them suck (unless they just don't work).

Old 10-26-2015, 02:55 PM   #13 (permalink)
Private Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightShadow View Post
I'm simply asking you why you don't like it. Nobody can seem to give an appropriate answer other than, "I hate it. It sucks. DIE IN A FIRE!" It's a library for music, much like Windows Media or WinAmp with many of the same features. Each is unique in it's own tiny ways. None of them suck (unless they just don't work).
On Windows it's bloated and slow. Frequently had installation issues with it in the past when I had to install (or re-install) it on clients' machines, as well as the notorious CD/DVD filter registry entry that basically killed off the optical drive entry on the system unless you removed the registry key that iTunes put on there - even that that didn't always solve it and would end up requiring a reinstall.

Overall it's been very buggy and not performing very well. As well as installing tons of extra services and such that all want to run on startup. It may run fine on a Mac, but Apple didn't optimize or create it well at all for Windows systems.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 03:03 PM   #14 (permalink)

Even on my Mac it's pretty bad. Google Music is awesome
Old 10-26-2015, 03:08 PM   #15 (permalink)

Triforcer

I don't know anyone who uses Apple Music. Every apple user still has their Spotify account and no plans on switching.

Baez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 03:25 PM   #16 (permalink)

^ Yep, same.
Except for my dad. He actually likes Apple Music.
Old 10-26-2015, 03:59 PM   #17 (permalink)
Virtual Reality Nut

I use it. I don't really see the issue with it, nor iTunes for that matter.

Open Apple Music app, find song, add to playlist. Get in car and it all connects and starts to stream faultlessly. Idk what else you want.

Same with iTunes. My only complaint is it's not very intuitive when you want to browse music on Apple Music rather than the iTunes Store. I don't try and do anything remotely 'advanced' at all, so maybe that's why I don't really have a problem with it. I just find songs I like and add them to a playlist, that's it. For all my other media consumption I use Kodi or MPC with MaxVR
16GB RAM
Samsung SM961 512GB SSD
Seagate 2TB HDD
Laptop 17" GSync 1080P IPS - External 40" 4K

Certs
CompTIA A+ | CompTIA N+ | Microsoft MCTS | Splunk | SolarWinds LEM | IBM MaaS 360
kmanmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 07:27 AM   #18 (permalink)
Night Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageX View Post
On Windows it's bloated and slow. Frequently had installation issues with it in the past when I had to install (or re-install) it on clients' machines, as well as the notorious CD/DVD filter registry entry that basically killed off the optical drive entry on the system unless you removed the registry key that iTunes put on there - even that that didn't always solve it and would end up requiring a reinstall.

Overall it's been very buggy and not performing very well. As well as installing tons of extra services and such that all want to run on startup. It may run fine on a Mac, but Apple didn't optimize or create it well at all for Windows systems.
I don't disagree that Apple could very easily make the software with a smaller footprint and consume less resources. The only time I've ever run into issues like you're mentioning is when the user hasn't kept their software updated or they have had a malware infection.

All of that being said, I rarely use iTunes. I have music, but I usually listen to music on either Pandora or YouTube. I personally refuse to pay for music services, so it limits me a bit these days. I'll listen to the good ole FM first.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:28 AM   #19 (permalink)
Private Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightShadow View Post
All of that being said, I rarely use iTunes. I have music, but I usually listen to music on either Pandora or YouTube. I personally refuse to pay for music services, so it limits me a bit these days. I'll listen to the good ole FM first.
Just get your own music and put it up on a Plex server - then you can use the mobile app or the web player.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 10:46 AM   #20 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageX View Post
Just get your own music and put it up on a Plex server - then you can use the mobile app or the web player.
How secure is this? I love the idea of being able to view the content i bought remotely.

As for iTunes, I use because I own an iPhone 6plus. In terms of how I feel about the product, I don't like how it bogs down my system resources. If it could load and run smoother, I wouldn't have any complaints. As far as Apple Music goes, I like it a lot because I can find just about any song I want and add it to a playlist. The biggest con is not owning the content. If I were to cancel the service, I lose the songs I downloaded to my phone.