Anyone read that xbox2 is using Apple's G5?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The single biggest determinate factor in the frame rate of games is the graphics card these days.

Until you put better graphics cards in the mac you won't get decent games performance.

If you only use your computers for games then buy a PC. There's no arguement, PC's wins hands down in the games market because that's the platform all the developers work on because it is the biggest market and makes the most money. The hardware vendors also operate in a different market this helps drive the cost down through commodotisation and economies of scale.

However the best price/performance ratio when it comes to games has to be a console.

As for IBM, the G5 and heat issues etc. consider this. IBM already makes the chips that power the nitendo game cube, makes the Nvidia GeForce FX processors and they are in a joint operation with Sony to make the processors for the new PS3. From what I have heard the chip shipped in the xBox 2 will be a 65nm part not the 90nm parts used in the apple mac G5's. It will probably be packaged differently and Microsoft will probably get quite a bit of say in what heat versus performance stats they want to achieve.

As for a multi processor system, most of the impetus in the chip industry is towards multi-core packages, ie. 2+ processors in a single package. This would make it considerably easier to put multi processors in the xBox 2.

sorry i didnt have time to read the whole thing if someone posted this already but is this also going to be a linux based system?

Developmet is apparently happening on a cut down Win NT kernel. Given Microsofts positioning against Linux I doubt very much that they will be developing a linux based console.

waynejkruse10 said:
well if i pay 1800 for a computer i expect it to play some games, hmm, well if the emac isnt for gaming what is? the G5, mabye, the most expensive mac out, 6000 without a monitor, and thats plays games at the speed of a 2000 pc with a 19in crt

also i found i site that proved that apple cheated on thier g5 tests

Macs, in general, arent geared towards gaming, though Apple is starting to move towards gaming orientation. A long time ago Apple decided, incorrectly, to move away from games, as they thought, once again incorrectly, that games would not be a very big part of the market.

Comparing a mac to a pc in the gaming field is like comparing a newly captured wild stallion to a seasoned racing horse. The elements needed may be there in the wild stallion, but they are in need of refinement to really bring out the true potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom