Any way to format Mac OS X without logging in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr_wizard

In Runtime
Hey guys, I got ahold of an IMac G5 "BigMac" recently (Model A1076) and it has several accounts on it but I just want to format it and start over. I know nothing about Mac, but I can get ahold of Mac OS X if I need to I suppose. Is it as easy as popping in the disc on boot up and formatting like PC, or...?

Pretty much. There are some differences, but nothing major.

It should run 10.5, I would buy a copy of that.

Yep, in fact it's easier than installing windows in my opinion.

I'd also get 10.5 It doesn't really matter what version you get, as there are free upgrades out for all versions anyway. So if you were thinking of buying a 10.5.7 or 10.5.6 copy over a 10.5.4 even though the price was higher, don't bother.

I was thinking, I mean, there is a legal version of the software on this Mac. I don't exactly have 200 to drop on another copy of Mac OS X just because... is there any way to get in it and just format using it's format ability and start clean?

I can if it's a last resort, as in dropping 200 on a copy. The issue is making sure that's the only choice I have. Thanks.

It's a longshot, but try calling up Applecare. If you get a nice rep, they may send you out disks. I got a replacement for 10.4 that way, even though I wasn't under an Applecare warranty. Dunno if they do this with 10.5, but it's worth a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom