Another Mac vs. PC thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate to say it but most mac users ive run into are clueless about what really makes a computer run and work, they defend apple like a chicken defending its eggs, and there's nothing wrong with that, however, I strongly disagree wth Apple's philosophy of hiding all the power of unix behind a proprietary GUI that requires mass resources just to run by default.I also highly disagree with the way OS X puts limits on what an ordinary user can do with quite a few of its apps.In the hands of an expert OS X is quite capable, but it takes even more learning to use it really effectively than it does linux I think, Im not talking just average pointing and clicking, I mean really using it.

As many around here know, I run linux, have for a long time, arent too many things I cant do with linux, and the price is definitely right !!!Im about to take delivery of a used G5 and I will be putting linux on it.

When Apple went thee unix route for OS X I figured it was gonna be cool cause then OS X users would be hip to unix and get along better with linux guys, unfortunately it hasnt been the case to a large extent, only reason I an figure is Apple doesnt exactly encourage getting into the guts of a system and really getting involved with it.They dont have a huge pool of users offering up apps and improvements like the various flavors of linux.They have a few, but nothing like linux in the last 2 years or so.When it comes to apple these days, you have 2 choices, appleware or linux, and only linux is completely open source.

horndude said:
I hate to say it but most mac users ive run into are clueless about what really makes a computer run and work, they defend apple like a chicken defending its eggs, and there's nothing wrong with that, however, I strongly disagree wth Apple's philosophy of hiding all the power of unix behind a proprietary GUI that requires mass resources just to run by default.I also highly disagree with the way OS X puts limits on what an ordinary user can do with quite a few of its apps.In the hands of an expert OS X is quite capable, but it takes even more learning to use it really effectively than it does linux I think, Im not talking just average pointing and clicking, I mean really using it.

As many around here know, I run linux, have for a long time, arent too many things I cant do with linux, and the price is definitely right !!!Im about to take delivery of a used G5 and I will be putting linux on it.

When Apple went thee unix route for OS X I figured it was gonna be cool cause then OS X users would be hip to unix and get along better with linux guys, unfortunately it hasnt been the case to a large extent, only reason I an figure is Apple doesnt exactly encourage getting into the guts of a system and really getting involved with it.They dont have a huge pool of users offering up apps and improvements like the various flavors of linux.They have a few, but nothing like linux in the last 2 years or so.When it comes to apple these days, you have 2 choices, appleware or linux, and only linux is completely open source.

OSX is an operating system made for the masses, experienced and not. Linux, for the most part, is an advanced OS made for advanced users. OSX is there to compete with Windows, a basic for-the-masses operating system, not with Linux. Having the UNIX core like OSX does isnt there to qualify it in the Linux community as a legit open source OS but instead give it something Windows doesnt have- a real extension into open source and its application for power users. Amateurs will get a sleak, powerful, easy to use OS while power users will enjoy a large percentage of the command line tools to open up a whole other door for OSX. Personally I enjoy not having to use some major brainpower to get my computer running well.

PS: You might have a problem running Linux on a G5 because the cooling controls are within OSX. You might want to check whether or not the distro youre using has the cooling control software ported or emulated...

I understand completely, I can really relate to that.

Mac Fanboys are a pain...they tend to know next to nothing about computers, and engage in huge arguments about why Macs are better, and they state much false information, and make people think that all Mac users are like this, which isn't true at all. Speaking of pains, mindless Mac Bashers who don't know anything about macs yet act like they do, and base arguments based on false information or experiences with much older machines are just as bad sometimes.

Fact is, a userbase that consists of some bad people doesn't make a bad operating system, nor does a userbase that consists of some good people make a good one.

Ya, I should have added most PC users Ive run into in general are clueless too :)

Im clueless somedays myself.

not most pc users, some...

another pointless argument between macs and pcs

reminds me of nvidia vs ati

and amd vs intel

wth... winners? where?

Its an interesting point you pose Panther5060 because there can never be an end. Apple, for all intents in purposes, is the only thing keeping Microsoft in business. While you may think this sounds weird and down right wrong, cosndier anti trust lawsuits. Apple is Microsoft's only real competator for any considerable chunk of the consumer computer marker. The second Apple is gone (presumably driven out of business or somehow bought by Microsoft) the trust busters will come in with vengence and break up Microsoft. Thus while on the outside it may seem like theyre bitter enemies in the computer world, in reality they exist in a sort of symbiotic relationship - Mircosoft needs Apple to stay together, Apple needs Microsoft's standard setting programs to work on its platform. Interesting stuff. I could go further but I think you get my point.

There are a certain type of people for each OS... Linux people use Linux, Windows people use Windows, and Mac people use Mac. And it take a certain person to be able to use each OS. Linux people are way different than Windows people, Mac people are way different than Windows people, and etc etc... People use the OS they feel most comfortable with(or can afford :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom