Another Mac vs. PC thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you want the computer for, really?

I like Macs, I like PCs, I use them both day-to-day. However, I'd choose a Mac over a PC for the simple fact that when it comes to studio music production etc, nothing beats a Mac. However, if you're NOT in any line where Macs do their job well (music/graphics) then I'd say get the PC.

obviously MAC usersr will be in favor, btw (as you wrote: I donÂ’t have to re-buy Photoshop and everything else), you think OS-X comes with photoshop already installled?

else, not every software, unless its from Apple tehmselve, have all the features that it originally (windows) version has. I've seen many features of Office 2003 that arent in MAc version, so is IE (i dont it aymore though).

if u want to go purely for the photoshop and some designing, then go for mac. else i'll prefer windows as though my machine's basic taks is same, but at leat I have flexibility of development environment as well (servers included) whilst, for MAC, you got to buy MAC Server O/S, which is another 250$ or more.

Blind_Arrow said:
, but at leat I have flexibility of development environment as well (servers included) whilst, for MAC, you got to buy MAC Server O/S, which is another 250$ or more.

Not quite... If youve ever used OSX (which it doesnt sound like you have), youll have noticed that the basic OS is fully capable of administering/hosting a server. OSX server adds higher level functionality to the basic OS server functions, much like Micrsoft's Windows Server Edition 2003 (Gasp! Microsoft has a server edition too?! Who'd have thought...?) does for Windows. In fact, Id be more inclined to run basic OSx over basic windows in server applications because basic OSX has Apache server built in and has the stability of its UNIX components.

"Waynejer...."

waynejkruse10 said:
linux has better support and better capabilities for a server, than mac os x
OK, that dosn't make any sense. If Mac OS X is a form of linux itself, (Like "G5orbust" said,) how and why would you figure that it's better for a server? :confused: :cool:

Well, linux servers and mac os x servers are classed in different categories. And linux powers the majority of web servers. OSX powers only a few percent (if that). Mac os x is not a form of Linux, its a form of Unix based upon Berkley systems distribution (freeBSD). Unix and Macosx are very different.

Differences between linux and unix:
Linux is licenced under GPL, unix is not.
Linux is not technicly owned by anyone, but unix is.
Linux kernal was writen before Unix so it was the original posix based OS.

etc.

"Riddle Me Dhat..."

Oh! :eek: I actualy thought that Berkely Systems made a version of linux. Thanks for clearing that up. That company has been making Mac programs since 1988. Not suprizing to find that they're a part of OS X. :cool:

ATI-RP,

Linux essentially was created in two parts by several people.Initially some guys started making the GPL GNU tools that implement all the UNIX standards-->shell,compiler,linker,etc etc, at that time there wasnt a kernel to make it work on a PC yet.Linus Torvalds created the linux kernel, that combined with the GNU tools forms the basis for linux.FreeBSD is similar in many ways, its basically in implementation of UNIX for the PC(personal computer-not IBM PC specifically), and it shares many of the same GNU tools and also the standards linux uses.They are separate but share the same standards and ideas.

"Lyrically at..."

So when exactly was UNIX introduced?? Dosn't Linux and Unix have basically the same functions? :confused: :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom