Another Mac vs. PC thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I build and repair PCs. I even own two of them -- mostly for training purposes. However, my personal computer is a Mac.

Windows is a joke...but fixing crappy windows machines pays very well.

Ya, if you really want to get nitpicky, in all honesty OS X underneath isnt all that hot.Its a hacked mach3 microkernel with layers of wrappers added on top.Apple is terrible at making meaningful improvements, instead they just keep redesigning stuff with the same underlying issues left intact.Sure, as a typical enduser you wont notice the difference other than the fact that it takes HUGE resources to make it run acceptably.Anandtech has a very interesting article about apple vs x86 running different OS's that points out alot of OS X's faults.This isnt the kind of info youll see advertised though, or even known by typical apple users.

What always amuses me about Bill Gates worshippers is their selective memory.

Apple basically pioneered DOS with the first Apples before there even were PC people. While PC people were still doing DOS command lines, Apple pioneered the GUI (PC people laughed at the “no-brainer” interface). Years later, Microsoft (and others) made their own version of the GUI and suddenly PC people thought GUIs were the cutting edge of technology (Mac users still laugh over that one).

The same is true of USB and Firewire, Apple does the brainwork, PC people adopt it as their own. Now Apple is phasing out their proprietary OS and replacing it with a public domain UNIX kernal and their own layers of hardware and user interfaces (Microsoft enthusiasts are again laughing, Unix and Linux people arenÂ’t). If history repeats itself, about the time Mac users are up to OS 10.7 or so, Windows people will get a crude copy of OS 10.0 from Microsoft and think itÂ’s just about the coolest thing they ever saw.

Then, as now, IÂ’ll be fixing downreved Windows machines, then going home to my Mac at the end of the day to enjoy using a real computer. (I also fix Macs, but Macs don't need all that much fixing, Microsoft OSs are MUCH more profitable.)

Here's a mystery.
What ever happened to Microsoft's Longhorn? Do you think maybe it got scrapped, and they're scrambling to develop a Unix based system, hoping to avoid being a full five years behind Apple...Yet again.

"PackardPC..."

This may sound nuts to most of you, but i seriosly think that they should start making CLONE Macs again. Their problem in the first place was that Apple is terrible when it comes to buying out companies, because they always buy out the wrong ones. PowerComputing? PowerLogix? Xerox? RADiUS??? If they start buying out more standard companies, or at least make a contract with Hewlett Pacard, (They've been begging this from Apple for years now...) to start manufacturing their own line of PowerPC systems, they would have a bigger hold on the market. In my opinion this is long overdue. :cool:

Well, IÂ’m not going to argue with Linux people, I consider them cousins of sorts to OSX people. I finally gave up on Linux (Red Hat and Yellow Dog), because every time I tried to use Linux in customer environments, it made hardware upgrades a nightmare.

I just came from a company with 29 Macs and 3 Pentium 4, XP PCs, I spent 5 mins on the Macs (rebuild one desktop), and 45 mins on the PCs (a list if things)...about average.

At least we agree Windows is a joke.

Apple basically pioneered DOS with the first Apples before there even were PC people. While PC people were still doing DOS command lines, Apple pioneered the GUI

WRONG! Xerox pioneered the GUI, Steve Jobs and Bill Gates thought "hmm i like that" and ordered a gui built for thier own OS's.

OS X on the surface seems pretty cool, do some digging though and its not very good at all.The mach3 microkernel they use has serious performance issues.Its ok as a desktop if you dont mind spending big $$ to have super speedy hardware to overcome its resource needs, as a server its pathethic, despite its "unix" roots.Its one of the marketing ploys Apple has successfully pulled off despite its serious shortcomings.Sys calls with the kernel setup they use are costly, and its a real shame cause the PPC chip they use is actually really really good.There's a simple fix though, run linux on it instead of OS X.Many people have been doing just that, it solves the microkernel issues, even if the tradeoff is some loss of hardware, firewire in linux on appleware I dont think works yet, neither does the temp control for the cpu fans.Linus Torvalds the linux kernel creator uses linux on a mac though, interesting twist isnt it !!

Absolutly! I read some benchmarks from Anandtech that showed mac os x server 10 times slower in some Server tests (apache i believe) and an average of 6 times slower on other server tests (mysql)

But what i really like is linux, im currenrtly in the process of phasing out windaz. And my webserver runs Linux, so i do have some idea of how to use it and stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom