17 inch iMac core 2 duo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aesthetic

Baseband Member
I am most likely going to be buying one of these. I've been a PC user forever, and though I don't share quite the same enthusiasm as a lot of Apple lovers, I still do acknowledge the advantages of owning a Mac.

I'm a college student who listens to lots of music, movies, photos etc. Are these core 2 duo mac's worth purchasing? They seem fairly reasonably priced, and I like the space saving, sleek design.

Sorry but I am a rookie when it comes to Macs for the most part. I've used them in school for basic graphic related projects, but I don't really understand the OS as well as I do with Windows.

Is it true that I don't need any kind of virus or spyware programs if I own a Mac? And is it also true that the only processes that are running, are the actual programs that you want?

I was also curious about the Apple Care plan. One of my fears about getting an iMac as that since the monitor and computer are one, that some day in the near future the monitor will die out and then I will be screwed. Although the iMacs do have a VGA out which I can use to connect another monitor, it will just be a hassle. So, for the $119 is the Apple Care worth the money? Do they offer good service and protection?

Also, I've heard lots of different things related to the actual performance of iMacs in comparison to for instance, dell XPS. In the past supposedly Mac calculated processing speed differently than PC's did, but from what I have been told from an Apple representative, in terms of pure processing power, Windows based computers offer a lot more for the money? Would you guys say this is true?

In addition, I heard rumors that Apple was having problems when they switched over to Intel processors (at least with the laptops). Do you know if the desktops are having any issues with the new processors?

Lastly, do you think getting an iMac is a good idea for a college student like myself? One of my biggest concerns is that it's pretty much impossible to upgrade these new iMacs, and I would need to have this computer around for awhile. What I'm asking is, how long do you think I will be able to own it before it would be considered "defunct" by industry standards? Apple being the innovative company that they are are always creating new and exciting things, and I like to stay on top of technology.

Sorry for asking so many questions, but I just wanted to make a calculated judgement before I went ahead and purchased a Mac. I'm most likely going to end up getting one, pending some thoughts from you guys.

Thanks a lot for your help, I really appreciate it.

You bring up very great points to be discussed :D

Aesthetic said:
Is it true that I don't need any kind of virus or spyware programs if I own a Mac? And is it also true that the only processes that are running, are the actual programs that you want?

Its very true. There are (as of now) No known threats to the Mac OS X system. There was a little blip on the virus radar several months ago, but Apple fixed the security issue and viruses are a non-issue :)
Just like in Windows, the system has several of its own processes that are constantly running. But in Mac OSX, there aren't any 'hidden' processes from SpyWare/Malware.

I was also curious about the Apple Care plan. One of my fears about getting an iMac as that since the monitor and computer are one, that some day in the near future the monitor will die out and then I will be screwed. Although the iMacs do have a VGA out which I can use to connect another monitor, it will just be a hassle. So, for the $119 is the Apple Care worth the money? Do they offer good service and protection?

Two and a half years ago when I bought my iBook G4, I did not get the AppleCare plan and I have not ever needed it. But, even if I were to have something broken on my iBook, I could very easily and painlessly send my iBook to Apple and they would fix it. I would have to pay, of course. My warranty is up :p
If, in fact, something IS wrong with your Mac, you can just send it back. Apple will give you a new one and of necessary, they will keep sending you new ones until you get one that works properly. There was a review I read on the new MacBook Pros where the person reviewing went through 5 MacBook Pros before he got one that worked. But each time one broke, Apple replaced it free of charge. He went through at least $15,000 worth of computers for free ;) Now THAT'S customer service.

Also, I've heard lots of different things related to the actual performance of iMacs in comparison to for instance, dell XPS. In the past supposedly Mac calculated processing speed differently than PC's did, but from what I have been told from an Apple representative, in terms of pure processing power, Windows based computers offer a lot more for the money? Would you guys say this is true?

In the past, Apple DID use a different basis than clock speed, but they could only milk that for so long before it became cliche. Since the switch to Intel, there's really no difference in actual computer speed between Macs and PC's. They're using the same hardware now, so there's no more reason to argue. The major advantages of having a Mac now are: The ease of use, the amazing design of hardware and software, and the incredible service. :D

In addition, I heard rumors that Apple was having problems when they switched over to Intel processors (at least with the laptops). Do you know if the desktops are having any issues with the new processors?

The only major problems Apple is having with the laptops at the moment is the batteries. Its not really Apple's fault really, it was the battery manufacturer's fault for producint faulty batteries. Dell is having the same issue with some of their laptops.
There are a few other quality issues, but please note that these are FIRST YEAR models. These are the first laptops that Apple has used Intel processors in. There ARE going to be problems for a while before Apple gets everything ironed out. ;)

Lastly, do you think getting an iMac is a good idea for a college student like myself? One of my biggest concerns is that it's pretty much impossible to upgrade these new iMacs, and I would need to have this computer around for awhile. What I'm asking is, how long do you think I will be able to own it before it would be considered "defunct" by industry standards? Apple being the innovative company that they are are always creating new and exciting things, and I like to stay on top of technology.

Macs are the BEST computers for college students. Apple has an excellent student program where you can get GREAT discounts on software and hardware. And despite popular belief, you CAN upgrade an iMac. You can always send it off and have a bigger hard drive put in, or you can add up to 2 gigabytes*i think*(in the 17 inch model) of RAM.
No, you will not be able to upgrade the video card or the processor, but you really wouldn't need to. By the time your Mac is 'defunct' you'll have most likely owned it for 3+ years and Apple will still be supporting your hardware. :D
Case in point! I also have an iMac G3 (From the year 2001) And I have it running the newest version of OS X and it runs quite well considering its obvious age and lack of high-performance parts.
So, if you buy a new Mac you'll definitely be using it for several years before it becomes completely obsolete. :)

Thanks a lot for your help, I really appreciate it.
You're very welcome, and I hope the information I provided was helpful.

The information you provided was MORE than helpful. Thank you so much. It's good to get the feedback of an actual Mac user as opposed to talking to an Apple rep online or in the store. Also thank you for putting up with my elementary questions!

I just checked, 2GB max on the 17" iMac with the Intel graphics card, and 3GB on the rest of the iMacs. :)

I was going to go with the 17inch with the ATI graphics card.

For some strange reason, I remember watching a video on cnet.com and the editor said that the new iMac's were not upgradable because of the way they were designed.

I'm glad that I asked!

As far as I know, there are just a few screws in the back that give you direct access to the harddrive and RAM, but I think the CPU is soldered to the logic board, same with the video card, so you're out of luck there. But you CAN upgrade the RAM and the harddrive, if you felt the need. :)

i have never owned a Mac but in all my years of use I have been very happy with them. The new macs are screamin fast and look awesome too. I have owned 3 ipods and have been more than pleased with all of the. I think apple is a great company especially for students looking to save a couple bucks
so, as the commercials go
"Get A Mac"

I just watched a preview of Leopard and all of the new cool stuff it has. I was really blown away.

I was curious about how much the upgrade to Leopard will cost? A ball park figure is fine. Since I am going to get the Apple Care plan, I don't want to download the new OS somewhere offline because I will end up voiding my warantee. So if you guys could give me an estimation as to how much a newly released OS for an Apple computer would cost, that would be great!

And also, as far as updates go... Is it the same like Windows? A message will automatically pop up informing me that new updates are available, and I just have to go ahead and install?

Also, as far as the OS goes, could someone break down the way they are identified for me..

ex: 10.4.1

I'm not sure what each of those numbers mean. I'm assuming it has to do with version numbers and whatnot, but if I wanted to have the LATEST version of Tiger, how would I identify it? And furthermore, what is the number sequence for Leopard?

Sorry for the stupid questions, this is just more of me being curious than anything else.

Mac OS X has always been priced at $129. I don't think leopard will be any different. :)

OS X Has an application called "Software Update"
It checks for new software and shows you a list of available updates and you choose which ones to install.

OS X 10.4.8
The numbers tell you which version of the operating system you are using.
For example:
someone using 10.4.6 is using and older version than 10.4.8. They're both still using OS X "tiger" But the person with the 10.4.8 has the newer version.
Here's a simple chart for OS X:
OS X 10.0 = The original Aqua
OS X 10.1 = Cheetah
OS X 10.2 = Jaguar
OS X 10.3 = Panther
OS X 10.4 = Tiger
OS X 10.5 = Leopard
Hope that clears it up a little.
:)

(quote)
I was curious about how much the upgrade to Leopard will cost? A ball park figure is fine. Since I am going to get the Apple Care plan, I don't want to download the new OS somewhere offline because I will end up voiding my warantee. So if you guys could give me an estimation as to how much a newly released OS for an Apple computer would cost, that would be great!
(quote)

Isn't Leopard going to be released relatively soon?... Why not just wait a few months to buy your iMac so you can get it for free (well, bundled in with the computer)? Plus, if you could save a little more in those months... you might be able to bump up to the 20"...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom