10.5.6 can't see Vista!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crysalis

Systems Engineer
Hey guys... I just recently built a new computer and "upgraded" to Vista Business (32bit)... I had XP (32bit) and it worked flawlessly.

Heres the deal. I have setup file/printer sharing and it works (after some registry edits in Vista) to view files on the mac. I can see the Mac on the network FROM vista, but I can't see it the other way around. The Mac will not see any windows machines in the workgroup nor any shared files. Its as if the Mac is alone in the workgroup.

Supposedly, 10.5.6 update fixed this problem, but I am having no luck.

Any clues? I have done the obvious (workgroup names, WINS, etc etc).

I don't know anything about Mac, but I do know that File sharing needs to be enabled on many vista machines for print options.

maybe there is a similar setting/Option on the mac?

Yes... i've done all that. Like I said, I can share files - I can get files on/off the Mac from the vista machine, but the Mac doesn't see the Vista machine.

Did you have XP installed with the FAT32 File system? Could be why it worked flawlessly. With Vista you can only install on NTFS so that could be why OS X doesnt see it. From what i know there are tools out there available for OS X that will allow you to see NTFS. That might be your best option.

In a way it is. Just like trying to access a Linux drive from Windows. Unless you install a 3rd party tool that will allow windows to interact with the Ext3 File system you wont be able to access the drive, see the drive or even know they are there. Unless you go into Disk Management.

I think this is what is happening. Cause you cant see the drives let alone access them. Just like you had to do in Vista to be able to see and access the HFS+ system of OS X you might have to do that for OS X as well.

I have seen stuff for MACFuse around the net. That might be a possibility. From what i see there are ways to make it read accessibility but not write. This is really just a guess. I dont know Mac's at all. I am just trying to help figure out what it could be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom