Zoom USB 4117 Wireless Adapters

Status
Not open for further replies.

terrym

Solid State Member
I have two computers, in separate rooms, that both run Windows XP/SP1a. One of these has a Realtek RTL8139 PCI adapter which is used for my NTL Cable Internet Connection. I bought 2 of the New ZoomAir USB 4117 Wireless Adapters yesterday and installed them today. But I cannot get a Network Connection. If I look in Device Manager, it shows the device as "Working properly". If I look in Start | Network Connections, it actually shows, along with my Realtek connection, the USB Wireless connection, but it says the Wireless connection is unavailable.
On the box, it says "easiest-to-install and easiest-to-use network ever" and "only takes minutes to install". I've tried everything I can think of over the last 3 or 4 hours, but cannot seem to get past the unavailable message.
Thanks and I hope you can help
Terry

we need to know your settings and what type of network you want to setup. I assuming you want to setup ICS on your box directly connected to the inet and setup a adhoc network so your second pc can access the inet.

First, you should make sure your wireless network is setup properly. Check the settings on your wireless adapter. Make sure they are set to adhoc for network type, they both are set to the same channel, SSID, & encyption type. Next, install tcp/ip and manually set the ips to 192.168.0.1 & 192.168.0.2 (or any address on the same subnet will do) with the subnet mask set to 255.255.255.0. Set both pcs to the same workgroups, right click my comp>properties network id tab. Reboot both pcs and try to ping each other.

Once thats setup you need to setup ICS for XP. check it out here http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/

Hi
You were right. I wanted to setup ICS on the Main computer and setup an adhoc network for the second pc.
I've tried everything in your message, and I'm almost there.
Both adapters are now working. The IP addresses are 192.168.0.1 and 2.
I have run the Network Setup Wizard on both computers and on the second one I was able to setup the Network ID, as you suggested. But I cannot do this on the Main computer as this option is greyed out.
So, on the second PC, Network places shows the Workgroup and the second computer. So that bit is OK.
On the Main computer, when I try to access the workgroup, I just get a message that the network is unavailable.
It seems that I somehow need to setup the Network ID for the Main computer. Is that right? and do you have any suggestions on how I can do this, or un-grey the option?

it seems the computer doesn't recognize the network adapter. if this is true then if you execute 'ping localhost' in the command shell, it should report timed out or destination unreachable. If you get normal results, try to ping the other pc by using its ip address.

One other thing i left out is that you will need to setup users on both machines. Right click my comp>manage. goto local users & groups. double-click users. right click>new user. fill in info. If you don't do this then each comp won't 'see' the other in network places.

Hi csamuels
I tried the ping command and it worked OK.
The Main Computer (the one which doesn't seem to be working) already has 2 users, me and Admin. My account is the same as Admin. The second computer also has a single user.
Will that cause the Main computer to "join" the network?
Also, I've just noticed that the Main computer is now very slow getting internet pages, and I have a 600k connection.

here we go.
from: http://www.chicagotech.net/wxpfaqs.htm#Cant change the workgroup name
Can't change the workgroup name

If you are the member of administrators, but can't change the workgroup name (the Network ID and Workgroup are gray out), make sure you have installed the Client For Microsoft Networks.

right-click network places> properties. click install, click client, find Client for MS Networks, click ok. Now try to change the workgroup name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom