Zone Alarm blocking internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkop16

Daemon Poster
Hey, Im having trouble with zone alarm. I know there is a virus and protection sub forum but I figured this would be more appropriate. Sorry if Im wrong.

Anyways, I could not access the internet since last night and couldn't figure out why. I powered down my computers and unplugged my router and modem for a bit. Plugged everything back in and got all green lights on the modem. But still couldn't access any web pages. It did see the connection though. I plugged one of my computers directly into the modem and did a ip release and renew. The computer picked up the actual ip address (provided by my distributer), so it was getting something. But still web pages would not load and was not getting any download or upload speed azureus (thinking it might be firefox acting up).

I wait until today figuring that my distributer's servers were not working properly and just waited for them to fix it. The next day (today) still not loading web pages. Fed up now, I call customer service to see what was going on and low and be hold the machine lady (they use a machine with a lady's voice to screen calls and send you to the right technical service) said if you have zone alarm installed and have XP up to date you may experience no connectivity. I obediently hang up as it dawned on me.

XP did recently update (*me thinking to myself) so I shutdown zone alarm and now I can access the internet and figure out what is going on. I found:

Re: No internet - ZoneAlarm Configuration - ZoneAlarm User Forum

I followed exactly what the guy said to do but zone alarm still blocks my internet. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling zone alarm with no luck. I currently have windows firewall on to compensate but I would really like my zone alarm back if one of you guys have a suggestion.

And sorry bout the long post but I felt like I needing to tell the story. Hope this might help some of you guys who use zone alarm and XP (up to date) too and haven't figured out whats going on yet.

Thanks,
darkop

I had the same problem when i woke up this morning. I tried reinstalling but it didnt do anything. Zone alarm are releasing a fix for the problem, theyve already released a fix for the security suite and so now im just waiting for a firewall fix. The fix will be available here : ZoneAlarm SmartDefense Research Center

But until then the easiest and best way to deal with the problem is to turn down the Internet Security to "Medium" in the Firewall tab of Zone Alarm.

Hey thanks, that did it. I would take medium zone alarm protection over windows fire wall, so that helps. I'll keep a look out for a zone alarm up date. Thanks again.

edit. lol i just read the page you posted...option #2 sounds like a bad idea to me, what do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom