Your opinion on these ISP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike505

Beta member
I currently have the comcast triple play package but am fed up with the service (or lack-there-of). My internet connection goes out just about every day for several minutes. Sometimes multiple times a day. Comcast doesn't know why this is happening or what they can do to fix it, and it seems like they are not making any effort to resolve this problem.

Here's my question:

I want to change my internet service from Comcast to a different company. Right now I'm looking at RoadRunner , Cox, and possibly Verizon. What is your opinion on these companies? What's your opinion on a company that I didn't mention?

My household usually has 2-4 machines on the internet at any given time. We use the internet for online gaming, live-streaming videos, research, and uploading and watching YouTube videos. So I need an internet that can do all of this and still be fast.

Thanks for reading. Please help me out.

Before looking at different ISP's, what have you done on your side to look into the problem?

As an example, after I purchased my home a few years back, it turned out that the house wiring for Coax and phone was a poor installation (home builders part, not the ISP's), so I took out all of the old cable and rewired the house myself with Cat5e and Coax, Gigabit Ethernet to nearly every room in the house. NOW, before you go out and just replace the wiring (as it is labor and possibly cost intensive), take a known good cable, and connect it from the cable head that comes from Comcast to see if the trouble persists. If it does, see if they have a tech than can come out with some kind of diagnostic tool to place on the line where Comcast hands off to the in-house wiring, and see if they are able to see the issue from there. Chances are VERY good, that either this test with a new piece of cable which by-passes the existing house wiring, or comcast testing from the house will tell you where the trouble is (roughly.... house or comcast. The wiring in your house isn't the responsibility of the provider, unless you have a specific agreement with them (for example, the local GAS company here has a deal where they will cover all repairs to gas piping in your home for a certain premium every month.)

The reason I suggest this before looking into a different ISP, is that if you switch ISP, the cabling in the house, and actually, leading up to the house doesn't change, unless you move from a cable service provider to a phone provider, and if the coax in the house isn't great, chances are the phones aren't great either, in my own PERSONAL experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom