XP pro and XP Server 2003 network setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry K

Fully Optimized
what am I doing wrong... uhm, anyone know what I need to do to configure this right?

1 SBS machine (MS server 2003)
1 laptop XP Pro
1 XP pro desktop

using non-dhcp (I specify an IP) -- I say that right :)
all computers can "see" each other, BUT I can't move/copy files from one to other.

example:
I have file sharing on laptop on a directory.
on desktop I can view the directory but can't do anything with the files.

desktop is set up to my server domain and but I can't get the laptop to do it (control panel -> system -> computer name tab... will not take the "domain" field????

anyway... anyone got a simple, easy to follow network config setup I can follow?

thanks

It sounds like you don't have the permissions set up properly. They will be read-only by default.
Did you cick on the change name button or the wizard?
Did you setup the active directory?

same DNS, but each has their own IP

wrong/no permissions is probably right, but I right click on the directory, go to sharing and say Share to all on this network?

change name button... WHere is the wizard?
does it matter?

not sure what active directory is?

thanks

I think the problem should be with the win2k3, it's setup is so much different then those in xp. i had 3 machine too, 2 with win2k3 and 1 with win ME/XP(had installed both) and when setup using the usaul way wich is the using the XP's setup for network, after all that installation, the ME/XP pc can't c neither of the 2 win2k3, but any of the win2k3 can c, or do anything to the ME/XP pc. my school's server uses win2k3 too, and it's file server, so ever client computer had to access to it, i think they need to add them manually.(hope i shorten your way to find the ans.)

I am probably going to tell you stuff you know but it might help.

Are you logging onto a domain or are you using workgroups?

If using a Domain: if you can explore other computers but are unable to copy or move files to them this is normal caused by a lack of rights to the shared folder, try adding the user to the folder and give them rights to change.

If using workgroups: go to the PC with the folder on you have shared and in Permissions make sure you have allowed change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom