XP Pro and DSL/Cable Modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

heffng

Solid State Member
We deployed laptops and desktops to remote users with XP Pro installed and configured while on our physical network. Several users now report that they are unable to log on at all to the PC. The only common thing is that they use DSL or cable modem. Once the PC is back on our network, we can log on with no problem. The user cannot even log on locally to the PC. Please help!

Are you saying that they, once disconnected to the network medium, cannot log onto the PC? Did you assign them individual usernames? Are you running a domain on your network?

-Mike

Yes, they have user names and the PCs were configured while on our domain (NT 4.0). We logged on as the user to cache all their info before the PCs were sent out to the field. They are also using a VPN (Extranet Access Client) to connect to the domain. Out of the blue, they are unable to log onto the PC. If they disconnect the DSL or cable modem, it makes no difference; they cannot log on at all. It kicks them back to the CTRL+ALT+DEL screen and then starts all over again.

Well, this may be a stupid question as you seem to know what you were doing but even so....
Did you add them to the machine as a local user? Adding them to the domain will not allow them to log in locally when they go out to the field. They will need to be added to the local machine as well.

-Mike

Their user IDs were added to the admins group before the PCs were sent out. I just found out we have two more users with the same issue. We have checked all the possible culprits like SP, SUS updates, etc. with no luck. I'm hoping you may have come across something like this. Or the other scenario is that we encountered a bug?

Adding them to the admins group
[ assuming your talking about on the domain ] while 'in the feild' won't matter. Like Mike said above, if they don't have local user accounts on the local machine, then they will not be able to log on once disconnected from the network.

They are admins on their PC, but they log on as if they were still on the domain. They were all able to function fine until a few days ago. I'm not sure if they hit a limit on the log ins without validating to an actual domain or if there is another problem. In either case, the headache is just beginning for me. Is there a way to validate to a domain using a VPN? Just an idea. Thanks for your comments and help.

To validate to a domain via VPN you will still have to log in. Sounds like an issue that we had at my previous job.
Some questions for you...
Are these multi user machines are single user? do you have a local admin account to the machine not the network that you can use? Once back on your network, can the user log back in without issue? Are these machine remote all the time, and have they possibly been removed from the domain?
Good Luck

These are single user machines out in the field. They do not physically validate on the domain unless they come in for service or when they were initially set up.
We did not give them the local admin password, but did give their user account admin rights.
Once the PC is back in our office, we can log in with no issues.
Their PC account has not been removed from the domain.
I hope this may help you help me. Thank you!

is there an error given when they try to log in? any kind of message that says what is happening?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom