XP Pro connecting to Server 2000 In a Workgroup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt0202

Solid State Member
I have a client that just got a new XP Pro Machine. They have a Server running Server 2000 and two gateway laptops running Windows 2000. The laptops can see the server just fine, but this new XP Pro computer cannot. ItÂ’s a workgroup with DHCP being handled by the wireless router. I have reinstalled the OS and tried everything I know to get this computer to see the server. The only thing I have got them to do is when I added IPX/SPX the server was able to see the xp computer but the xp computer couldnt see the server. I couldnt connect to the xp computer because I didnÂ’t have a valid login. The two laptops are wireless and the new computer is connected to the wireless router via cat5 the server is also connected to the router via cat5. The server is the only computer with a static IP because of the web hosting. IÂ’m all out of ideas.

Lets see...

You have a Windows 2000 Server maching running as a workgroup.

The server has clients on it and its a workgroup?

Well, I suggest you change the workgroup to a domain structure and 99% of your XP problems will go away.

I am not sure why but XP's workgroup networking really sucks!

Doublecheck any Firewall settings and make sure all machines have the same workgroup name assigned.

did you check the users on both machines?

from: http://www.sysopt.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=147539

1. All PCs must be in the same workgroup.

2. You must have shares established on the Win2K/XP machine.

3. Win98 PCs must be logged on using Client for Microsoft Networks as the Primary logon in Networking - none of that "Cancel" stuff!

I believe this applies to winxp too.
4. The username and password used on the Win98 machines must be known to the Win2K/XP machine. In other words, you must either log on to Win98 with the same username and password as Win2K/XP or add the username and password in Win2K/XP using the Users and Password/Groups applet in Control Panel.

They don't have to be in the same workgroup.
From the XP computer, first disable the internal firewall that it uses. Then try to type in the IP address or computer name in the explorer address bar. "\\10.8.8.1\ShareName"

-Mike

I have tried all of that... :( Iam able to connect to the router from the xp computer and I was able to tel net to the server from the xp computer..and if I havent said it before This is after a re-install of windows....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom