XP PC networked with Vista laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnelson07

In Runtime
PC = XP Pro SP2
Laptop = Vista Ultimate

So I can access my PC from my laptop running but not the other way around. All of my shared folders from my PC show up on the network on the laptop, but when I try to access my laptop from my PC it is "unaccessible". Possibly because the laptop doesn't defaultly show up under my network places on the PC and I force it to attempt to connect by doing double backslash.

Here is the error prompt I receive:
*** Domo = Laptop Name ***

---------------------------
Home
\\Domo is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

Logon failure: account currently disabled.

OK

I'm pretty sure I have all of the sharing settings on for my laptop, all of the discovery and sharing in the Network and Sharing Center are on.
Funny thing is I use synergy to control the laptop from the keyboard and mouse on my PC and that connects through the network fine, but file and folder sharing seems to not want to work from my PC to the laptop (or XP to Vista).

Any ideas?

If I enable the guest account on the laptop, the error message changes to this:

Home
\\Domo is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer.

OK

I couldn't find any settings that you could set to allow network connection or something like it to this account so far. Still looking/trying.

i dont think its possible to be honest, which i know is stupid, but ive tried the same thing before, connecting a vista ultimate computer to an XP laptop... got exactly the same error. have you looked on the microsoft website?

Are you sure there in the same workgroup, try disabling the firewall in vista and restart the laptop n see then

Yeah, they are on the same workgroup. I did however disable the vista firewall and nothing changed, although I did make the little dumb mistake of not rebooting after disabling it. I'll try that when I get the chance.

I've been searching the internet a couple of days and didn't find much help their surprisingly so I'm kind of concerned about the possibility of fixing this problem.

i think it might be the case of the firewalls, do it on both computers. i have a wireless router ad for ages was i having troublt with seening my downstairs pc, it was the firewall i disabled it n they worked for a bit until norton booted up or zone alarm so i unstalled them but they left files which had to be removed

Make sure you have Network Discovery and File Sharing turned on in the Network and Sharing Center on the Vista machine. Probably wouldn't hurt to turn Media sharing on as well. Do you have a 3rd party firewall installed on either machine? If so, be sure to setup an exception(rule) to allow a connection to your Vista machine. You may have to setup each machine to allow the inbound and outbound connection. I don't know what else would cause it to not work. I've been running Vista on my desktop PC for several months and I've never had any issues connecting to it from my Laptop running XP SP2.

i dont think its possible to be honest, which i know is stupid, but ive tried the same thing before, connecting a vista ultimate computer to an XP laptop... got exactly the same error. have you looked on the microsoft website?

I'm not trying to be rude, but you are wrong :). I have a vista laptop and 3 XP computers (1 laptop, 2 desktops) and I can see all of them from any computer hooked up to my router. You have to make sure that the firewall is open to file sharing or off on all of the machines for it to work. There may also be something in control panel that you have to enable, its been a while since I set it up. Try running the network setup wizard on all the computers.

I had a similar problem but managed to fix it here's what I found wrong:

1. firewall on windows xp machine (comodo) was blocking my vista IP address I had to allow it.

2. A password needed to be set on both computers i think, as i couldn't get access as a blank admin password wouldn't be accepted.

3. Workgroup has to be the same normally needs a reboot to get things working.

4. make sure your typing in the shared names correctly \\homepc\music etc

try pinging the machines too in the command prompt using IP address to see if its getting any response. eg: ping 192.168.0.1 etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom