xp password

Status
Not open for further replies.

pretty

Solid State Member
I have forgot my xp password. And I have very important data and application installed on that PC. So if some one can guide me how can I get the password and change it using any way.
I would be grateful to your help:)

reboot in safemode and do into the user accounts. it will allow you to change the password without knowing the old one.

when I boot in safemode how do I enter to the user accounts??
plz can you explain

How much knowledge I got from searching on google here and there. That there is .SAM file in C:\WINDOWS\system32\config
Some thing has to be done with this .SAM file
Please if some one have any knowledge explain it for me

thanx

The sam file holds the pasword hashes. you can run a bootable linux distro such as the auditor CD and use samdump to extract the hashes from the sam file. you'll then need to use a tool such as john the ripper to crack them. If your system stores lanman hashes then cracking wont take too long, however if not then it could take a while and i believe you have to do something with the system file which probably requires another tool too but i cant remember what that was. You wont be able to access the SAM file if you boot into windows normally which is why the bootable linux CD is required.

Have you tried booting into safe mode and logging in as administrator? you'll probably find that there is no password and from there you'll be able to reset the forgotten password - alternatively you can probably reset the password from any administrator account on the computer. - a lot easeir than pratting about with the SAM file

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom