XP Networking Help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

chimera

Baseband Member
hi all ,I have a small problem I'm trying to deal with ,
while it's not that big of a deal it's becoming a real pain in the *** .
we just bought a new laptop from dell it has built in wireless networking. as well as XP SP2 .
I have been able to set it up via wireless to connect to the wan + lan for the most part. the only part that isn't working it won't connect to my main server for my media files.
it keeps coming up with a message saying I don't have permisson to use network recource.
I have another computer that comes up with the same message.
I didn't have a problem before with the old laptop , this is why it's starting to bother me .
I have check ipconfig /all and all setting look to be right on all the systems .
I know for a fact I can connect to my PC with W2K . but XP pro SP2 doesn't seem to want to connect.
also I know I can connect to all the pc's Wireless/hardwired from the server.
I will give you guys more details of the network below and I hope someone here can help me out.

Wan= Shaw cable
LAN = Dlink DI-624+router - Dlink 8 Port switch
Server 1 = AMD 1.6 hardwired to Router Xp Pro
Server 2 = Intel 2.4/3.1 hardwired to Switch Xp Pro
Personal 1=AMD 1.4 hardwired to Switch Xp pro
Laptop 1 = Intel 2.4 Wireless Dlink DWL-G650 Xp Home
Laptop 2 = Intel 1.73 Dell 802.11G Xp Pro
Laptop 3 = cel 550 802.11G W2k
Spare Temp = P2 550 hard wired W2K

so the laptops are all wireless and the Desktops are hardwired in
I have tried turning off all firewalls and virus scaners , as well and uninstalling them from all systems with no luck to my problems.
I'm wondering if I turned a service I needed to something.

thanks for any help thar could be giving

chimera

Can you ping the servers NetBios name? If not can you ping its IP address? This way we can see if it is DNS related.

I can Ping the laptop as well as all other ip's and Dns's on my network . I just can't connect to the one IP

So your laptop can't connect to your shared folder on your other server ? If you're running windows 2000, windows XP Pro or server 2000/2003 you should disable simple file sharing, right click on your shared folder go into security tab click add and add the everyone group that should help fix the problem. If not let me know.

*edit
It's probably a NTFS permission problem more likely than DNS.

well I messed about with everything that was listed above + some .
I did a little of everything tonight just to try to get it working and I more or less gave up when I came across a similar post someone refer to autopatcher , which I had ran sometime ago
it was just werid that W2K was still able to connect to the problem matic pc .

I dug around Autopatcher's web site to confirm and it turns out yes he does do something I had to go in and untweak almost everything for network.
once I restarted the computer and reset shares , everything worked .
But I think In a few weeks , It's going to be getting redone . and a hard drive upgrade.

thx to all that have helped.

Chimera

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom