XP Computers can't "see" server on network

Status
Not open for further replies.

ratpig

Solid State Member
Network newbie question: I have a wired Windows 2000 Server network at work and due to some down-sizing I am the new network guy.

My question is: we have a few new XP laptops that don't seem to detect this server. They connect to the internet by just plugging the cat 5 cable in, and one guy even has a wireless netork at his home that works fine. The WIndows 98 and other XP machines we have all work fine. I feel that there is some key thing I am missing here.

Can you tell us what type of network it is, ie. Domain, p2p

What type of equipment are you using, ie. routers, hubs, switches

What type of server is it, ie. Exchange, File Server, Print Server

I would make sure that the server automatically assigns ip addresses, and the laptops automatically receive ip addresses. If this automatic action isn't happening, then no one will see the server.

I believe it is a p2p network and we do have a router and hub??

I don't know the type of server.

I am going to try to check whether the ip addresses are automatic. That might be the problem. Now, how do I do that <g>?

For the individual computers, if you right click "My Network Places", and select properties. Then, right click the icon that says "Local Area Connection" and go to properties. In the "General Tab" go to the scroll menu and click Internet protocol (tcp/ip) and click the properties button. Make sure the button "obtain an ip address automatically" is pressed. If you do this, then the router (or whatever else is connected to the computer) must also assign the ip address automatically. This is where you have to know at least what brand the router is (cisco, linksys, etc).

Also,

You can verify if your network is a p2p or a domain structure by right clicking My Computer, click on properties, then click on the "Compute Name" Tab.

Right there you will see the PC's Computer name, below that it will show the Domain or Workgroup that machine is a member of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom