Wrt54g

Status
Not open for further replies.

2perfect

Solid State Member
I bought a wrt54g router, version 6 and found out that uTorrent, or any P2P file sharing program is not very compatible with this model.

from utorrent.com FAQ
The default firmware for Linksys (and all replacement firmwares except for the latest DD-WRT and HyperWRT Thibor) have a severe problem where they track old connections for FIVE days, which causes the router to hang when using P2P apps, or any software that generates a lot of connections. DHT only aggravates the situation because of the number of connections it generates.
Anyway, the problem is basically my internet disconnects every hour (or so) whenever I have uTorrent open (on a wireless pc).

uTorrent FAQ suggested that I use third party firmware for my router but I looked around and it doesn't seem like any are around for the version 6.

Anyone have any solutions? Or links to good third party firmware? I'm a noob so you might wanna give instructions if you find a link for me :D

Thanks in advance.

PS: I'll try using utorrent on a desktop if it will still disconnect. If it doesn't, perhaps I don't need a solution xD

I've got that router. I use uTorrent without any problems.

Of course, I don't get 300 download speeds or such.

Hmm what do you suggest I do then? Perhaps only have 1 download at a time? Or limit the number of connections? (how would I go about doing that) (I have no clue what that means but utorrent FAQ says utorrent "generates a lot of connections")

this comes from the release notes of newer (official) firmware from linksys:
"- Resolves Multi-session issue"

Think that will solve the disconnection problem?

I also changed utorrent to allow less (changed it from 100 to 20) peers to be connected, which *hopefully* helps solve the problem. The thing is though, I never know when it will disconnect, and I don't know what other programs generate many connections.

I'll upgrade to the new firmware. I'm kinda scared to try torrenting again though coz other people using the net get ****ed when they get dc'ed and they know i'm using utorrent =/

The latest official firmware didn't solve the P2P file sharing problem...

I'll try the DD-WRT for version 6 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom