Wrong subnet

NOLACop

Baseband Member
I am running a Windows network at work. I have one server dedicated as the DHCP and DNS server. I have one client machine that isn't getting the correct IP address. my networks addresses are 192.168.14.xxx. However one client is getting an IP of 192.168.1.xxx. I can get to the internet and my network shares but I am having a problem with my ghost software. I store all of my ghost images on this client and I connect each laptop I am ghosting to a LAN Cat5 cable. But now any laptop that I am taking an image from or putting an image on will not connect to the ghost software on my client desktop with the wrong subnet.

I have done an IP/release and IP/renew and still getting the bad address. Is there something else I can check something else I can do to resolve this issue?

Its getting it from the DHCP server. I can set a static IP but I still want to know what caused this to happen. Is it a server issue, client issue, hardware, or software?

well if the client is getting an IP address that is 192.168.1.xxx and your DHCP server is giving all other devices an IP of 192.168.14.xxx, I would question if it is indeed obtaining an IP address from the server

in IPCONFIG on the client does it list the DHCP server as your server or is it something else ?

In IP config the default gateway is not my DHCP/ DNS server address. However, if I run nslookup I get the proper response saying that the default server is my DHCP/ DNS server with the proper name and IP address of the server.

I think that Frosty might have been referring to "ipconfig /all" which will show the DHCP server that the client is getting its address from. Have you also checked the scope properties/distribution/reservations of the DHCP server?

i did the IPconfig/all and the client is showing a DHCP server of 192.168.1.1 instead of my actual DHCP server if 192.168.14.xxx. How can I resolve this? I have rebooted, did ip release and renew and it still gets the same IP.

Might be an obvious / basic suggestion.. but check your network adapter settings for your IPv4 setting is set to auto (unless you need to specify IP / DNS and such).

Back
Top Bottom