WPA strength and wireless hijack?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JKS

Solid State Member
First and foremost, I've read about WPA being more secure than WEP. WEP was found to be easily breakable on a high end machine. How long would it take a determined attacker to decrypt WPA crypted communications? After all, I'd heard that the art of security isn't about keeping unauthorized users out, but how hard do you wanna make it for people to break in. Furthermore, assuming all basic precautions are taken and WPA are enabled, what are the chances of someone entering the wireless network?

As far as wireless hijack goes, how many incidents have emerged where hackers used an insecured WAP to do criminal activities (thus being traced back to the WAP's owner). A salesperson claimed that it's almost never happened and that you've got logs (assuming you keep them stored somewhere) and that when the feds come "Hey, I didn't do it. I had this router open, somebody else did it." Quite frankly, that statement made little sense to me. Many people live in apartments, one can sit in a local car's park, etc (thus not drawing suspicion by sitting in front of a house). This has been one of my concerns for setting up a wireless network at home.

you would have to have a pretty damn determined person to crack a 16 digit wep key. besides that wep key, if you are really paranoid you can also set up your router to anly accept connections by specific MAC adresses(sp?). Every router, NIC, Wireless NIC, etc has its own specific MAC adress. like a finger print. no two are the same. so you tell your router to only let YOUR wireless nic on and only if YOUR wireless nic sends the correct 16 digit wep key. and if this verrrrrrrrryyyyy determined individual does somehow crack your router, and the fbi come knocking at your door then go to the log and show them it wasnt you, and you did everything within you power to keep said determined individual out.

fateisajester said:
you would have to have a pretty damn determined person to crack a 16 digit wep key. besides that wep key, if you are really paranoid you can also set up your router to anly accept connections by specific MAC adresses(sp?). Every router, NIC, Wireless NIC, etc has its own specific MAC adress. like a finger print. no two are the same.

how to crack wep pt1

how to crack wep pt2

also, mac addresses can be easily spoofed.

i havent heard of wpa being cracked.......yet

I currently live in a large apartment complex, have a vast wireless network, and haven't had any problems with people stealing my bandwidth. I use common sense things like MAC Filtering, and WEP/WPA encryption. Let's face it, except for the tech savvy ones, most average Joe's go out, buy a bunch of wireless equipment, get it home and read the linksys packaging, and don't enable a single security feature or even go as far as changing the default password. If you use your head and enable a few security features the majority of people that live in a neighborhood or apartment complex will not even know how to get on your wireless network. I can't count the number of people in my parents neighborhood and my complex that have their wireless connections WIDE OPEN. It's just as simple as they don't know any better. So with that said, if you have even a little knowledge of wireless security then you should have nothing to worry about when thinking of putting a wireless network in your home :cool:

I've been to New York City and you can literally walk around in downtown and have no less than three wireless networks detected at one time. Most of those are wide open as well!

like i said you would have to be a very determined person to crack your network. u said you live in an apartment complex where there is bound to be an abundance of wireless networks, and the majority of ppl DO leave their networks wide open. so if i were to want to steal internet, i would chose to go to your next door neighbor who's network is probably not secured instead of spending hours on you. unless of course i have something against YOU personaly. then you are just plain FU**ED.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom