Would this switch suite my needs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does your modem have a built in DHCP function? If not you will need to get a router rather than a switch. You may want a router anyway for the extra functions it provides.

i am guessing my modem does have DHCP capabilities because i have connected the Mac Laptop to the modem directly and it does use DHCP.

but, are there that many better things about a router?
i basically just want to have both computers to be able to access the internet and the same time and have good lan speed between both of them also.

i am guessing my modem does have DHCP capabilities because i have connected the Mac Laptop to the modem directly and it does use DHCP.

but, are there that many better things about a router?
i basically just want to have both computers to be able to access the internet and the same time and have good lan speed between both of them also.

Your modem itself does not have DHCP. Your ISP's network will have a DHCP server, however. This means that unless you have purchased two IP addresses from your ISP, you will need a router not a switch.

A router differs from a switch in that a router will let you setup your own private network that can have multiple computers connect to one internet connection that supplies one IP address.

Something like this will work fine.

Depends on the modem though, eh?

screenshot1lj7.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom