wot do i need 4 setting up my network??

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikejones

Solid State Member
hi i have a desktop with usb cable modem internet connection and want 2 share this connection with my laptop. i bought 2 netwrk cards for my laptop and desktop and av managed to create a network however the internet is REALLY slow on the laptop and wen u try 2 go on many websites its says this page cant b displayed etc. even though it ses there is a strong signal.
so my question is do i need something else to get a good connection eg a wireless router ( and if i did get one wud this connect to my modem or my desktop) and if i did get a router wud i still need the wireless ntrk card 4 my desktop or jus the 1 for my laptop?

just a thought-

modem
|
v
Router
| |
V V
Laptop PC

if u have wireless rotuer, u need wirless nic card on laptop and pc.

Don Fudleone

Get rid of the USB cable modem, or does it have a ethernet cable use via the ethernet cable, then get a router/ or wireless router the Netgear MR814 is a good one for the money right now $27 and change at Amazon. You should see a performance gain from going through the router instead of using ICS and your USB modem.

my modem can b connectd usin an ethernet cable but i cant get it to wrk as wen i try to install the modem via ethernet (even after formatin me disk so its not installed via usb ) i get an error msg sayin -
DHCP release/renew failed - you hav 1 netwrk adaptor set to DHCP - via rhine 111 fast ethernet adapter

and the ethernet light on the modem flashes on and off (is never steady) !!! its drivin me nuts i can neva get computers 2 wrk!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom