Workgroup Sharing Problem

morph1

Solid State Member
Hi all
I got perhaps a simple problem,
Set up a new windows 7 64 bit computer , connected to a workgroup based network shared with 6 computers wired and wifi...,
This new computer was bought ready, and it connects via wifi only as the location does not allow for a cable...,
I got this computer setup under the existing workgroup I assigned a folder in the primary drive to be shared on the workgroup network.
Upon the complete setup I can connect to the internet I can browse networking and see all the computers there I can enter the shared folders in all the computers without any problems everything seems ok, but when I try to connect from other computers to this new computer I am unable to...,
I can see that computer in the workgroup when I click on it it asks me for a user name and password, I type in the credentials and it tells me it failed and to contact the administrator or I may not have the sufficient rights..., I am stunned I have done this so many times in the past , I have never had a problem like this before... What may be wrong ? , the shared folder lets call this computer A is set to share to entire workgroup, read write is all allowed, network discovery is checked , sharing is checked... Everything is as it supposed to be but yet I am unable to enter the shared folder from any other computer....

anyone ?

any help would be appreciated.

Under Network and Sharing center on this PC, are you set on a Public or Private network?

And when go click on "Advanced Sharing settings" on the left panel, do you have Password Protected sharing disabled, File and Printer sharing enabled, etc.?

I believe both Public and private network are enabled,
advanced sharing password protection is disabled I tried both way on and off, no luck
File and printer sharing is enabled, network discovery is on...
Everything seem set right...

any other ideas, it almost look like the company that sold that computer
disabled or enabled some windows setting so the new owner would have them
service call the network...

I've set up quite a few computers and workgroup based sharing in the past..., never had a problem like that, I mean this is very simple to set up with windows 7

any other thoughts ?

thanks,

Right click the folder you want to access on the machine > Properties > Sharing tab > Advanced Sharing > make sure Share this Folder is checked, and then click Permissions and make sure Everyone is enabled.

I ran into a problem similar to this. I could not access a share from another machine. I had to add the account of the computer trying to access the share to the computer that is sharing the folder. Same username as password. OR you can map it as a network drive and check then "Login with different credentials" box and sign in with one of the accounts already on the computer that is hosting the share.

I ran into a problem similar to this. I could not access a share from another machine. I had to add the account of the computer trying to access the share to the computer that is sharing the folder. Same username as password. OR you can map it as a network drive and check then "Login with different credentials" box and sign in with one of the accounts already on the computer that is hosting the share.

I'm lazy and usually just add the user 'Everyone' and it works for me :lol:.

Back
Top Bottom