Workgroup & Domain question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rawan AbuSalman

Daemon Poster
split from What is difference between a Domain and a Workgroup?? thread.

Hi...
I posted a thread about that and someone reffered me to this...great job....It really made the picture clearer in my mind (Im a complete newbie in networking :))

My question is as follows...

The laptop I am using is part of a school network my mother works at...It was configured there.....and it is part of a domain...

Now, I have another username (for me) on the laptop...but apparently, it is also set as part of the domain... (when i right click in My Copmuter, and choose the Computer Name tab...it says that this computer is part of a domain (not a workgroup)

I also want to create a network connection at home between the laptop and the desktop...but shouldnt it be a Workgroup?
Can they co-exist? (workgroup and domain?)

At the time being, I want to connect them in ad-hoc mode...but later on in the near future, using a router (the laptop will be connected wirelessly)

My mother needs to access the domain when the laptop is plugged at school and I (and perhaps my mother too on her username, if possible) want to access the workgroup at home when it is plugged here at home (or withing range of wireless router)

(btw...when my mother wants to login...(press ctrl+alt+del at startup) she enters her username and pass and then clicks on SMOC (the name of the school) to login...while when I want to login...I enter username and pass but I should click on the down arrow and change SMOC to "xxxxxxxx (this computer)" which is the coputer name....I dont know if that helps you or not...

and both me and my mother have adminstartive privilages...

Any help is much appreciated

thanx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom