Workgroup

Status
Not open for further replies.

MBennett

Banned
I have a Windows 2000 pro laptop that is connected to a domain at work. Using the same domain name as my home workgroup name I am trying to include the laptop on my home workgroup.

The laptop can connect to the other two compouters on my workgroup (Other computers running xp pro)

One of the others can access the laptop and one cannot. The one that isn't connecting responds with an error "There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request"

Don't know if it makes a difference but the computer that can't connect to the laptop is the computer that is directly conected to the internet with the static ip.

others, including laptop, are set to obtain ip addresses automatically.

Shared internet connection works fine..

Thanks in advance for you help!

Also might help to note that I am logging on the laptop locally as suggested in previouse topic I had found.

I had it working in this way at one time but I am not sure what changed.

I think that error message means that the computer is trying to logon to a domain controller that isn't present.

The error message appears on a home computer that has never been on a domain so I don't believe I have any different options for logging.

THe computer that cannot access the laptop can access the other home computer in my workgroup.

This may seem basic as I am not a network tech.

Not sure if this might help but the other home computer can access the laptop..

Are thier any security settings that may need to be changed on the computer that is unable to access the laptop?

In a previouse attempt at resolving this issue I had read that only one computer in the network should have computer browsing enabled as they may conflict with one another.

Somewhere else I read that all computers should have it enabled. What's your take on this?

MBennett said:
One of the others can access the laptop and one cannot. The one that isn't connecting responds with an error "There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request"

as stated before, this error means that the pc is trying to authenicate to a domain but cannot find the domain specified.

try changing the domain to the computer name in the login prompt. You'll have to use a user//pass that is local to the pc.

Ok, so if I have set up a username and password on my local computer to match that of my work domain it may automatically be trying to connect me to a domain.

Makes sense. Although the other computer that can connect also has the same username and password.

Just a thought. I will try it! Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom