Word slow when computer is networked

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveK

Solid State Member
When a specific computer is connected to the network, Microsoft Word slows down to a snail's pace on all the machines. I have scanned for viruses with an updated Norton AV, Trend Micro's online scan, and Mcafee's online scan with no hits. Any other ideas?

Thanks

What is the computers function? - is it a print server, fileserver, just a user machine?

Do the machines that slow down run word off the network?
Is it possible that this machine has AV software loaded that is trying to scan a network drive? - or FASTFIND enabled and that is trying to index a network drive?

Do you have a sniffer availabile, have you tried network monitor from any of the machines...
Have you tried changing the network card/name/address or any of that?

Has a bad hard drive to start

First to answer the last question, the machine is less than a year old and has 512mb of ram as does at least one of the other machines.
The AV software has been turned off and even uninstalled without any success.
I was told by the users that they have their own files on their own machines, but I suspect they were trying to access files off the machine with the bad hard drive.
Word is definitely separately installed.
I am replacing the hd first. I think this will solve the prob.

Thanks for replies

fast when not connected

Word seems to work fine when one certain computer is unplugged from the network. Of course word on any of the machines, works ok if it is unplugged from the network.

I found that the machine that seems to be causing the prob has a bad hard drive. (Seagate diagnostics) I have a feeling that the other users were trying to access documents off this machine even though they said not.

I am replacing the hard drive.

thanks for the reply

what version of office or word are you using. Ive noticed something similar with office 2003, also is this a new problem on a new install of word or did this just start happening.

from: http://www.sysopt.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=154036

THE Anwser IS:

After January 7th your computer slows down and Microsoft Word and Excel will not start

Situation:
Symantec is currently investigating reported computer slow downs and instability. This issue appears to be related to VeriSign receiving an unusual number of requests by Windows-based clients to download a certificate revocation list (CRL) on January 7-8, 2004. This increase in traffic resulted in intermittent VeriSign CRL server availability. For security purposes, Symantec products routinely verify the integrity of system components and at times were unable to achieve the authentication they were seeking due to the unavailability of VeriSign's server -- therefore customers experienced delays and instabilities. Symantec and other vendors are cooperatively working with VeriSign to mitigate this situation

Solution:
To temporarily resolve this issue until a permanent solution can be found please do the following:

Close all programs.
Start Internet Explorer.
Click Tools > Internet Options.
On the Advanced tab, scroll down through the list box to the Security section.
Deselect the "Check for publisher's certificate revocation" option as shown here:

I would not run norton on a computer if they paid me. I would run AVG it has less issues. It is easier to run and it is free to download and run for life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom