WLAN - ground floor to 4th floor

Status
Not open for further replies.

madking153

In Runtime
Hi,
I just move to a new house and there is no telefon access , so i cannot install internet connection unless i fixed the phone line. My friend is living in the same building but is in the 4th floor, so i wonder is it possible to I can get a strong WLAN router and share the DSL with her ?

any other solutions are welcome

thank you

Yea, you can plug a wireless router into the upstairs apartment and get a powerful antenna to hook up to it, depending on the construction of the building. If it is all brick or metal studs, you will have issue. Wood should be less of a problem.

Go with a G router and a big antenna to try it out. N, from what I've read, can jump to the 5 GHz spectrum, making it harder to penetrate walls/floors.

Now, legality is a completely different issue. Sharing the connection is one part of it, nuking your neighbors is another ;)

I would recommend getting the phone line issue straightened out. It should not be your responsibility to do so. I thought it was the law to have a phone line in every building that gets a dial tone, even if you dont pay for service so that 911 can be called. Just my two cents.

Depending on the layout of the building, if you are directly above her, you could get 2 wireless antenna's (1 for each apartment), and put them outside on the edge of the windowsill, or balcony, if you have one... that should work nice and dandy.

Yes her windows are right above me - but 4th floor higher. So it is possible to share the internet with her right ?

Pls explain more details how should i do it ? coz i am still new to networking...
p/s:i am not nuking my neighbour , she is agreed we share the DSL

thanks for the reply

By nuking your neighbor he means using a high powered directed signal through inhabited areas. Focusing the signal and sending it through the building can be harmful to living organisims. Think of it like a low intensity microwave: a couple second wont hurt you, but aiming it through someones bed could have consequences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom