wirless problems (and intro)

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldenknights

Beta member
Hello! This is my very first post on this forum, although I'm no stranger here I've referred to this site in the past to find solutions to some computer problems. I'm a college student (you can guess my school by my username lol) and I've just come home for winter break. Whenever I come home I bring my lap top to use on our wireless internet, however it always causes a problem. It seems that once my lap top connects to our wireless router the internet on our main computer stops working. (We have a linksys wireless 2.4ghz 802.11b router that was set up by a local computer guy.) This never happened when I lived at home. The visible sign that the internet isn't working is by looking at the lights on our router. When the main computer is off, the internet light on the router turns on however when you turn on the computer the internet light turns off. The internet works on my lap top regardless. Is there an easy way I can fix this problem without calling the computer guy and paying him $55 an hour? lol. I've tried unplugging the powerto both the router and dsl modem and letting it rest then restarting it, this usually worked in the past when the internet was down for no reason but it's not the solution to this problem. Anyone have an idea? Thanks in advance, and I'm looking forward to being a part of this forum.
Joe:D

Just a shot in the dark but is it possible that both computers have the same IP statically assigned? Try making sure both computers are on DHCP or ensure that both have different IP's and the router's DHCP server is turned on.

Thanks for the swift reply dedub. How do I check the DHCP on both computers? I was wondering last night whether if they had the same IP address. Thanks!
Joe

open a command prompt on both computers and type
ipconfig /all
that will give you the ip info for both computers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom