Wireshark troubleshooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Rob Nyc

Beta member
This is my first post here but I have been a member and a lurker since 2006 before the new site... So here is my issue.

I have a network running on a watchguard VPN firewall (Servering our internal DHCP) with 2 24 port linksys managed switches. I have several remote locations connecting in to the watchguard VPN Firewall. I have 3 centrally located servers, 1 is a Windows Domain server, 1 ScoUnix server and 1 Linux Server. I'm running Wyse60 Terminal emulation on windows xp machines as well as Neoware Dumb terminals to connect in to the ScoUnix servers.

So my problem is as follows.
At this time we seem to be intermitantly losing connection to the ScoUnix server on all machine, it seems the Sco box is intermittently dropping off the network only for a brief moment, on the internal network as well as the external network.
For example, if I connect to the server with PowerTerm (winxp terminal emulation app) on monday I may have no problems till Wednesday morning, on wednesday morning I will run Powerterm and it will not be able to access the server on the first attempt. However if I open a secondary window it will access the server with no problem.
Similarly, on the Neoware dumb terminal, if I can not connect I will have to reboot to get a connection.

I checked the logs on both the switch and they have been up for 20 days. I also checked the Sco logs and there was nothing special, only the link went up and down when we replaced the 2 switchs 20 days ago.

Finally I have installed an Ubuntu Linux box as a test machine with Cacti and Wireshark, I mirrored the port on the switch that the sco box is plugged into and I'm using wireshark to sniff the packets and cacti to graph the usagage through the mirrored port on my test box.

So my questions are.
1. WHat should I look for in wireshark to determine the problem.
2. What else can I do to find out what the problem is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom