Wireless Woes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurnt

Beta member
Hi all, I recently changed my home network from a wired connection to a wireless, using a belkin 54g wireless router, and a belkin 802.11g wireless card in both computers that are on the network.

One computer is downstairs, 2ft away from the router, and hasn't had a single problem since i changed to wireless, the other is upstairs, approximately 20-30ft away from the router. After some initial teething troubles, such as getting a half decent reception, and seemingly getting rid of intermittent connection problems, everything seemed fine.
However, now I can play online games with a ping of less than 100 every time, but I can't download any files from websites, and if I leave the connection idle, or even 'quiet' - just IRC running - my connection drops after about 5 minutes, only to return when I send an outgoing request, i.e. opening firefox.

I've been searching the internet high and low for a few weeks now trying to find a solution, besides 'throw away that belkin crap', as that's not really an option.

If anyone has any ideas, it'd be *much* appreciated :)

I don't know what network card you have, but if you go into your cards settings, is there a setting somewhere that is causing your card to stop searching for a signal after a certain amount of time with no activity?

I have a belkin wireless PCI card in my pc if thats what you have? Iv been having problems with loss of connection for months, but not as bad as yours. Im planning on buying a new router and changing from PCI to a USB wireless connection. You can also upgrade the firmware of your router and try upgrading your wireless cards drivers from the belkin website, they have a chat room thing were a person talks you through it very helpful. If you have solved the problem let me no as I still have trouble with mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom