Wireless to Wired

Status
Not open for further replies.

nathanlowe

Solid State Member
Right.
Downstairs we have a computer that is connected to the internet. It is recieving 4mbps from our isp. It is connected to the modem and router by a wire.
Upstairs we have my computer. It is wireless. I have a belkin high speed mode wireless G desktop network card and a wireless G router which is also belkin.
They are both capable of running 125mbps which is 2.4ghz it says on the front.
My wireless network connection and belkin symbol mostly always say running at 125 mbps.

I want to know, what will i need to do to go onto a wired connection. I.e a wire from my computer to the router. What will i need, ports and wires etc.

Will this increase my download speeds on the to be wired computer ?

THANKS

How is your wireless router connected to the internet? Vis the first router or its own connection? Most if not all wireless routers have wired ports on them as well, just connect with CAT5 and go. Or just run a longer CAT5 to the downstairs router. Make sure you are getting an IP address via DHCP and you are fine. It has been my experience that wired is somewhat faster than wireless.

No, i think you might have mis understood.

We have a downstairs computer connected to router and modem. Upstairs computer with network card getting signals from the downstairs router.
The router is connected to the modem or wired computer.

Either run a cable up to your computer and connect to the router or if it doesn't have enough wired ports, get an inexpensive switch and hook it to the router then all the computers to the switch. You can get a 4 port switch for less than $20.

Not past 4 mbps. Since that's your internet connection speed, that's your max download speed. It doesn't matter how fast your connection is between your router and your computer, data from the internet is still only coming in at a maximum of 4 mbps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom