Wireless Trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digital_Jedi

In Runtime
I have almost no clue when it come to routers and what not. My parents got a netgear wireless piece of crap router. It seems once or twice a week I have to unplug and plug in the stupid thing to get it to work again. I pick up the signal for the network but not the internet. Sometimes I have to go as far as turning off and on the modem to get internet back to my desktop. I have a Lynksis wireless card in my desktop. I don't know what kind of router specifically it is... we went from cable internet to DSL which actually help the problem... with the cable during peak times internet was slow... lag was up in game(TF2, COD4, ect..) but withe the DSL, almost lag free but still have a dumb router that trips up on the internet. Any ideas on a fix?

Are the router and modem close together? side by side or on top of one another? Could be heat-related issues....

My modem used to sit on top of my router, and the combined heat of the 2 would have a similart effect, it would cause one or other to lock up. Now that they are not near eachother (about 6-12 inches apart), haven't had any issues.

Also, figure out what model the router is (should be printed somewhere on the outside of it), and check netgear's webpage for any updated firmware. You will need to perform the firmware upgrade from a PC connected with a WIRE to the router. Doing it wirelessly could cause you to brick your router.

It is a netgear WGR614 v6. I just did the latest Firmware update.... i don't know why I didn't think about that?? Already it sems like the internet is faster for my PC. Thanks!! Just hope it stays like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom