Wireless speeds low, wired high?

Status
Not open for further replies.

M@$t3r_N30

In Runtime
I was downloading a 200mb game file today on on my computers that is connected via a Linksys USB Wifi card. I was getting roughly 10 kbps. I know that was slow but I figured it was because the download server was in Korea. Then I tried the same file on the one computer that its wired to the Linksys router and got speeds or 200kbps+. I am on a 3 mbps cable connection.

BTW, both computers and new Dells. So CPU performance is not the cause.

Any idea on why this is like this or how to make it better?

Thanks in advance,

Neo

I get the same things while connected to distant wifi networks, it's just not quality hardware with a combination of distance

if its a B type, then that means that your actual throughput will only max out at about 5Mbps, and then you are probably at a distance which degrades the signal even more. If there is a great disturbance in your signal strength, your wireless card with automatically drop down in speed, just to keep you connected....

my connection says my signal strength is excellent. does that not mean i should get high speeds?

Linksys is not cheap stuff, linksys is good. Linksys are one of the best home netoworking company's

Personally, I disagree with that. Linksys releases products that do not work properly... I don't know if you read about 8 months ago there were LOTS of bad linksys routers that had to be returned. Linksys is good for the average user who doesn't know much about home networking, I'll give them that, it's simple to use. But for people like me who want to configure EVERY little thing, Linksys just doesn't cut it.

I am going to have to agree with Cody, my high school uses Cisco products, which is Linksys for those of you who dont know, and everything is always crashing and broken and sh!t, so we have to return the products and stuff, but all the other netgeat and stuff that we have works fantastic.

I didnt think to mention it but, USB 1.1, which is what I am assuming that you have, only has an threshold for either 10 or 100 MB/s, you may or may not be getting the proper mAmp (m means micro) for your device to function properly. Just a thought, if you are going to stick the the linksys products, you should probably get an internal card, and then you may have to get an amplifier/directional antenna

Cisco are the best routers in the market, and the most expensive.

It's your school's fault for overloading routers or having a poorly configured network, not cisco / linksys

And it is true that linksys products are released with bugs though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom