Wireless Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

ere_in_cornwall

In Runtime
Hi Im going mad, Ive been trying to setup my wireless network for the last 3 days, my wireless connection connects to the internet, but the pages come up as DNS error? sometimes it will load but will say working offline?

Im using the following

WINDOWS XP HOME, 256 RAM, 40GB HARD DISK, DVDRW, BT HOME HUB (ADVENT 7086)

Im all setup and waiting for a reply so i can fix this problem

Thanks

untill you get it connected and working disable any wep you set up. When you view the wireless networks do you see your network?

Hi im a basic internet user, i have no idea how and what to do? i mean the laptop says connected but the web page goes straight to DNS error? Thanks

Lawrie

Your laptop is getting a signal from the router, but it seems your router isn't getting a signal from your ISP. Check your connection from your DSL or cable modem to the router.

Hi ment to say

My main computer is connected to the router via ethernet

im trying to connect my laptop to the router wirelessley, its fine on ethernet, i just dont know how to setup wireless?

Lawrie

can you confirm if your laptop is getting an IP address from the router, and ALSO that your laptop is connecting to the CORRECT router (in case there are neighboring wireless networks...). On the laptop, go to START > RUN > type 'CMD' hit enter > type 'IP CONFIG' hit enter, and then post the results here.

Also, the IP address it lists as DEFAULT GATEWAY, try to ping it.....
'ping x.x.x.x'

ETHERNET ADAPTER WIRELESS NETWORK CONNECTION

CONNECTION-SPECIFIC DNS SUFFIX

IP ADDRESS: 81.156.76.138
SUBNET MASK: 255.0.0.0
DEFAULT GATEWAY: 81.156.76.138

Thanks

ere_in_cornwall said:
ETHERNET ADAPTER WIRELESS NETWORK CONNECTION

CONNECTION-SPECIFIC DNS SUFFIX

IP ADDRESS: 81.156.76.138
SUBNET MASK: 255.0.0.0
DEFAULT GATEWAY: 81.156.76.138

Thanks

From the IP address information, it makes no sense that your IP address is the same as your default gateway. It looks like you aren't even connected to your wireless access point.

And the IP information is not a private IP that would associate your laptop with your home router.

I like to know what's the brand and model of your wireless router and what type of Internet connection do you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom