Wireless Security Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
Our office is going for a renovation shortly, and in the light of the receint armed hold up at the computer warehouse next to us, we are planning on having some security cameras to monitor the front door. The other thing that will be good is to be able to look into what is going on inside the warehouse across the internet as appose myself or bossman coming down to look personally.

I have not spent to much time on this project yet as the purchase is not going to be for at least 2 months.
So far, the only thing that I have looked at is the D-LINK DCS-2100+ Enhanced 2.4Hgz (802.11b) Wireless Internet Camera

I would like to get some thing good.

What should I be looking for in a WIrelss Internet Security Cameria?

We have some of the Axis Network IP Cameras. They seem to be rather good. Although we run them on CAT5, but they do have wireless capability.

One thing I would check is if they run on battery power, or can be hooked up to an electrical outlet. Be a pain in the ass if they only take batter power, and I've been told (never looked for myself) that some of these wireless security cameras will run on only battery power.

The Axis cameras are very good. I have used Axis cameras for quite a few years. The wireless will work fine, given the limitations of 802.11b. All the Axis cameras that I have used run of mains power. They have a little plug in wall transformer. I suppose you could make them run off a battery too but it would be a pain to change out that battery every so often.

The next generation of wireless devices will run off what's called "power over ethernet". However you would have to have a "power over ethernet" switch to run them. They do not need a wall plug. They are powered over the Cat5 cable.

-Target

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom