Wireless security

Status
Not open for further replies.

leonardmp92

Daemon Poster
Hello,

If I am at a wireless internet cafe like a coffeehouse, how can I ensure my passwords/pins are secure.

I have zone alarm.

Thanks.

The best advice I can give you is to turn off NetBIOS on your wireless adaptor because itÂ’s useless if you arenÂ’t sharing any file or printer. NetBIOS is a major concern when youÂ’re connected to a public network.

To turn off NetBIOS, go to Control Panel/Network Connection. Right click on the wireless adaptor and select properties. Double-click on Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) then click the advanced button on the bottom right. Go to the WINS tab and select “Disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP”.

Use a better third party firewall application rather than Windows Firewall. Windows Firewall filters only incoming traffic, allowing any application to send outbound packets, a fact which some industry observers have said makes it less useful for serious protection.

Zone Alarm is a good choice.

Encrypt your data with Windows XP Professional.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/learnmore/encryptdata.mspx

Third party software:

• AxCrypt - An excellent free encryption utility that enables users to encrypt all files within a folder and not allow those files to be viewed unless a passphrase (password) is known.

• WinCry - A freeware utility that enables your files to be encrypted, secure deletion, as well as other helpful methods of protecting your files.

• Folder Guard - A commercial version of a password protection software that enables you to password protect files, folders, and other Windows resources.

Don't type in credit card numbers or passwords. The measures listed above will provide some protection against casual hackers and identity thieves who prey on wireless networks. But if the bad guys are determined enough, they will eventually find a way to get around any security system. If you want to be safe, avoid typing any sensitive information, such as your credit card number or any other financial information, into your computer while using a public wireless network.

And one of the most important issues is to physically protect your laptop. You may be secured over the air, but if someone steals your laptop than itÂ’s over. Password protecting it wonÂ’t help, Windows log in can be easily reset, BIOS password can be easily reset also. Kensington locks are easy for thieves. These people do this for a living.

Remember there is no such thing as 100% hacker-proof system. There will always be a flaw in your system that someone can exploit, but you can make it harder for them so they eventually give up and move on to easier targets.

yeah i agree with law, i would strongly advise never to use credit cards (or any other sensitive information) over a public wireless network, you can never be sure if the wireless network you are connecting to is what it says it is.

anyone can pretend to have secure wireless and you never know quite what is being logged onto the servers providing the internet to you!

I agree with law's comment about NetBIOS that is best disabled and any other file sharing, (shared folders perhaps) VNC, and other services (telnet) should be disabled as these are all areas that potential threats can gain access to your computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom