Wireless routers and Firewalls?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LFCJohnSmith

In Runtime
Do wirelass routers have firewalls built into them, and if so does this mean that if you already have a software firewall will you have double the protection as you have 2 firewalls? I have a Netgear WN111 router which I am not currently using as I am just using a direct like between my modem and PC via a ethernet cable. Would I be better off using my wireless router for the extra firewall or would it be a waiste of time?

Some models do. You have to read teh product description to know for sure. No having a software firewall and a firewall in your router doesnt guarantee you will have double the protection. That is a false sense of security.

Check and see if your router has a firewall if it does use it. A firewall built into a router is far more effective than any firewall you install within Windows. I have been using strictly my hardware firewall (one built in with my router) for 4 years now. It has proven far more effective than the many years i tried to use software firewalls installed in Windows.

I have just read the article about the hacker who can hack router firewalls, does this mean that software firewalls are really poor, firewalls in genreal are poor, or the routers that he managed to hack are poor?

EDIT: How can I tell if my router has a firewall built in, I no longer have the paper work that came with it, so is there an easy way to find out?

Check their website. All places have the manuals online now.

Nothing is ever 100% secure. Of course someone could possibly hack the router firewall. It is the same chance you have of someone hacking yoru software firewall and getting your information. The only way to be 100% sure that your data is safe, stay off the internet. End of story.

No code out there for anything is ever not going to be hacked. It doesnt make a difference if it is good, bad or indifferent. With enough time and enough drive to try and hack it, someone will hack it. that is how it goes.

So if you are worried about your personal data making its way onto the internet, simple solution is dont store any personal data on the PC that you connect to the internet. If you only have 1 PC and you are that worried about its security, dont connect it to the net. That is the only way you are going to stay 100% safe. Other than that you can only take measures to try and keep your data safe.

Store your data on external drives that are not connected to your PC 24/7 or powered on. Only access the data when you need to use it and disconnect yourself from the net when you do. Run scnas weekly to make sure your clean.

That is all we can say. No matter the amount of times asked about which is better the answer will always be the same. If someone wants to hack it, they will. It may take them hours, days, months or even years but if they want it bad enough they will do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom